Need replacment shock

xracer27

Apr 15, 2007
Any one know of a shock from another model bike that would fit a 96 KDX. Eba_ only has KX, CR, YZ, etc.. :bang:
I hopped on my son's and tried to hit some jumps like I had on my CR and the reservoir blew apart. It split all the way around just above the snap ring grove and blew the bladder out.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Just look for one from 1995 and newer KDX's, as they are all going to work.

It sounds like the old one was not in good shape.

xracer27

Apr 15, 2007
I don't know I had changed the oil a few months ago. The nitrogen I had recharged then by a local shop may be it was over pressured. Even then you would think it would just make the shock stiff on compression forcing all the oil to pass through the shim stack on the piston, instead of displacing some into the reservoir.
I have found a 94 kdx 250 shock for sale , I asked them for the length to see if it was close to fitting.

xracer27

Apr 15, 2007
The guys with the one listed on eba- sent me a message back on the "94 kdx250" shock it is 17 3/8 long just what a 96 200 is. Their was not a 94 250 was their? :coocoo:

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
The oil that enters the reservoir is displaced by the shock shaft and has to flow to the reservoir, you overfilled it and it hydrauliced,hope it didn't kick back to hard after it blew. 94 250 and in some contries they had a 95, Japan even had em with black plastics.Check works performance for shock dimensions.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…