DarbySS

Dec 11, 2006
I purchased my first dirtbike about 3 weeks ago. A used 2005 Honda CRF250R, with very little hours. It's my first bike, and I know very little about them. When I picked it up, the guy showed me how he started it. Open the fuel line, pull out the choke, give the throttle 2 pumps, (it's cold right now) and then the bike would start within 3 kicks. After I got it home, I started it probably 2 or 3 more times, over the course of 10 days, and just rode it up and down my street. I started it each time the same way he showed me, and it fired up each time, no problem. I havent taken it to the track yet, due to the horrible weather we've had ever since I bought it.

About a week ago, I changed the oil and filter, and when I was done, I started it up and let it idle for about 90 seconds, just to cycle the fresh oil though the case. It has sat in my garage for about a week since then, without being started. In that time, we have had very cold temperature's (in the 20's). Today it was in the 60's so I went out to start it and ride it up and down the street. I noticed that I had left the fuel line in the open position. I put it in neutral, gave the throttle 2 pumps, and could not get it started. I tried and tried. I finally decided that maybe I flooded it, so I pulled out the owners manual and followed to instuctions to bleed a flooded carb. Still nothing, I have tried and tried and just cant seem to get it to start.

Since I know so little about these, I'm not sure if I should keep trying or what? I'm holding in the clutch when I kick it, does that matter? I've tried the hot start with no results.

Starting to get irritated, could use some advice.

Thanks
Darby

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Try changing the plug as a first step. Then when you go to kick it over be sure you make a full kick all the way from top to bottom- not a quick stab at it. I know often when my sons 4 stroke will not start for me in the morning he usually jumps on and fires it first kick. He is used to his bikes and always kicks it through the stroke nice and firm.
Chances are a lot of guys are going to jump in telling you that the valves are bad (a usual hard start cause) but the way you have descrbed previous starts I am leaning away from that. If it persists in being a finicky starter there is a chance the valves are out of spec.

As far as the clutch if it is in nuetral I wouldn't hold it in

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
Darby, probably best ask the experts in the 4-stroke forum.

I'll be racing a 04 CRF250 this season but spent last season crewing for it. The bike is a moody girl when it comes to cold starts.

If you're in neutral, don't bother holding the clutch in.

The starting ritual you describe is basicly what I or the owner of the bike do. If it don't want to fire, I'll whack the throttle 2 more times and try again.

If that don't work, then I'll shut the gas off, hold the throttle wide open AND hold the 'Hot Start' button while I lightly kick it through ten times. Then, not touching the throttle or hot start, with the choke off and gas on, try it again. If it tries to start or sneezes, just keep kicking it.

More than likely, your valves need to be adjusted, the Honda system really surprised us as far as how fussy it was on valve clearances.

A couple thousandths clearance is the difference between starting and wearing out your leg. :(

DarbySS

Dec 11, 2006
I know that the Honda's have valve issues, but the previous owner told me he just had them checked, and they were within spec.

And like I said, I havent even ridden this thing more than 10 mintues since I bought it, and I havent had any trouble starting it until now.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
With the temperatures jumping around your bike is going to have jetting issues. Your manual and this sites search has tons of good imfo. I would also check the clearances on your valves. Sometimes when your kicking your bike you might be moving the throttle, try giving it a quick quarter turn then remove your hand from the throttle, transmission in neutral, don't pull in the clutch and the choke on and kick a full stroke. If after like 5 kicks then take the choke off , still not touching the throttle and kick it 5 more.

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
Ahhh, if thats the case then OldGuy is probably correct, check the plug, (have fun!) .

We had a beast of a time getting the CRF going at a race last October, cold and windy, and in a nutshell, I intentionally flooded it, it tried to fire and another whack on the throttle got her going.

DarbySS

Dec 11, 2006
SWEET! I got it going. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I went back out and just tried the original routine again and it popped on about the 3rd kick. I also put on my Berik boots (was wearing tennis shoes earlier) and I think I wasnt kicking it all the way through the stroke. Anyway, just took it for a spin and it roared.

Also, it was my first ride with the boots on and it was surprisingly comfortable. I was afraid I would have a hard time getting used to those.

If it continues to act up, I may have the valves looked at. How much does that cost anyway?

Thanks for the help guys!!

Darby

Top Bottom