Need some help. Son is moving up

Frank

Jul 31, 1999
Ok, so I have a son who is almost 8 and a daughter who is 6 (I also have a little girl who is three, but she doesn't factor in quite yet). A little over a year ago we started with a CRF50, and a chinese 4 wheeler. My 6 year old has transitioned from the 4 wheeler to the CRF, and my 8 year old has outgrown it. We headed down to the local shop to try on a new bike for the 8 year old. He is still too small for a 65, but looked ok on a KLX110. He fit perfectly on a KTM senior adventure.

He seems interested in better performance, causing me to lean the way of the KTM, but I'm concerned he will outgrow it in the next year.

I know, I know, what does the kid want? When I ask him he tells me he really doesn't care. He just wants to ride (what a great attitude).

So, thoughts or opinions? Thanks in advance, and I will let you know what happens.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Is he real small for his age? My friend has an average size 7 year old who's riding a 65. Started on a CRF50, went to a Cobra 50 and now loves the KX. If you can get him at all comfortable on that, that's what I'd go with. The 50 2-strokes are nothing but a headache to keep running if you ride 'em much.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
+1 on the 110, although I move my son to the KX65 before he could reach the ground. My choice did involve racing. You might also look into the KTM Pro sr, but be forwarned, in a racing environment they are very high maintenance. I cannot comment on whether or not that is true for a less stressful riding style.

Frank

Jul 31, 1999
He is really not interested in MX, but that could all change. That is part of the reason I was leaning towards the KTM. Heck, I'm afraid if I went with the KLX I would never get my wife off the thing.

I've got a really good deal working on a KTM, and the 110's have been hard to find without shelling out premium moola.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The 110's right now seem to be the pit bike of choice which is making them scarce. As Haji mentioned those KTM 50's are a nightmare to keep running. Ask any 65 parent what the happiest day they had with racing was and likely 95% will tell you it was the day the kid was done with 50's for good.

Frank

Jul 31, 1999
Thanks so much. Very good information. The deal on this KTM will be hard to pass on though....

Does anyone have any experience with these bikes in a non-racing environment. That's part of the reason I was looking at the adventure.

lefty20

Nov 13, 2006
Frank said:
He is really not interested in MX, but that could all change. That is part of the reason I was leaning towards the KTM. Heck, I'm afraid if I went with the KLX I would never get my wife off the thing.

I've got a really good deal working on a KTM, and the 110's have been hard to find without shelling out premium moola.

whats a ktm adventure? id recomend a mx bike cause of the vercitility but only if they were driving it hard,but you can hit real big jumps which is what ive always been intrested in and starting on a (pw50 i think?) i remember how i hit a real big jump like a whole 3 feet :whoa: and the suspension bottomed out and made me crash...klx110's are prob too heavy,most trail bikes are very heavy compared to there motorcross counterparts due to the weight reduction ect...anyways if you can get a deal on a ktm sure why not ktm makes great bikes...another problem with trail bikes if your still relevivly new at it they only have drum breaks which have extremly poor stopping power.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The KTM adventure is the slower of their 50s, there is a Mini Adventure and a SR Adventure. The mini can often be found banging bars with CRF50's, and TTR50's as the second slowest class in MX. I am not sure which class the SR Adventure would fall in.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
The KTM 50 SR Adventure races on the "Big" tracks here and don't go on the kids tracks at all. It's the super fast 50 kids. At least here in MI anyway.

The 50 SR also requires a lot of maintenance.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I think you are mistaking the SR adventure with the Pro SR. I was talking about the SR Adventure. The Pro SR is typically run in 50 7-8 and 50 Open.

EDIT: OK, I just checked tthe KTM site to make sure I am not making up names, and it appears that they have decided to ditch the Pro nomenclature and are now calling those bikes the SX and SX Junior. They do still list the Mini Adventure and Senior Adventure.

Jul 4, 2006
Get him on the 110, you'd be dumping the 50 soon either ready for suicide or your kid only has a year left in that class (age). The 110 will get him ready for the size and weight plus there's a class for them most anywhere. Then maybe he might want to step up to the 65 later. Mine is 9 he's been on a 65 for 8 months and now I've got him an 85 to work his way onto. His stature is still pretty small for the 85 but he'll take it out in practice once a week. Kids catch on quicker than you think BUT I highly recommend getting him lessons on these MX bikes, proper body position and technique goes a long way in enabling these little guys to hang onto the bikes with that much power.

Steve

Steve

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ladder

Progression should move pw50-ktmjr or equal-ktmsr or equal- 65 - 85-125 Let the child move at his rate, If he can reach the pegs and bars he can go,stopping and falling is another story. It looks like you have a progression of riders coming up, they don't like hand-me downs,very few get the new bike awe out of used bikes.Trail minis are more feeble than race bikes,cheeper and less maintenance. If you go trail and they are trashing the bikes then they need race bikes.HEALTH INSURANCE required or a bank to cover injuries incurred, check coverage, be specific about what the kids are doing. Get a camcorder, have fun, never yell, be safe as can be!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
FruDaddy said:
I think you are mistaking the SR adventure with the Pro SR. I was talking about the SR Adventure. The Pro SR is typically run in 50 7-8 and 50 Open.

You're right FruDaddy. I forgot that there are two models of the 50 :bang: I know this too...there are two kids in our reg. race group that have them. All we listened to all summer was Cobras are better than KTMs...anyway

Sr. Adventure- drum brakes, air cooled
50 SX- disc brakes, liquid cooled <--high maintenance
I think I could probably change out the whole clutch on one of these. I watched our friends do it all summer!

That is true though "if" he did race he would only have a year left on the 50. There is usually a class for the KLX 110 if you ended up going that route.

Top Bottom