Needle position change

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
With the addition of a FMF Pipe and air box lid removal my air screw adjustment is now about 1/4 out to produce a golden brown spark plug and perform properly. Is this a problem if the bike is running correctly? I am afraid with the weather getting colder in NC I will have to turn it in even further or not be able to. My stock needle valve clip is 2 clips down from the end (lean side), so i should be able to move it to a richer position. How many clip positions should I move down to get the air screw to be about 1 or so turns out? Please help !

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
At a 1/4 turn out I would think you might find it a bit stubborn to light up when cold, since there is not a lot of airflow through the pilot circuit at that point. But if it works, run with it. :confused:

Generally when you run out of adjustment on your airscrew a different pilot jet is the next step. If you try that & its too rich on the bottom, then a single needle clip adjustment is a significant change, and should give you a couple turns or so of airscrew adjustment. :thumb:

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
Yes, my KDX is horrible to start when it gets cold. I have to tip it on its side at least a couple times and in gear, push back and forth. I will try dropping one clip postion and then make the appropriate air screw adjustment. Thanks for your help!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…