GSSign

Feb 8, 2008
From what I have been reading here, a new KTM may be my future ride.

I have recently rediscovered the great joys of riding. I have been out of the loop for 20 years. A 00'RM 125 fell into my lap and I have been loving every second of it for the past year. Now at the age of 37, I feel like a teen every time I hit the trails.

I have always keep track of the SX series and know that the 4 stroke is now king. I thought a new 4 stroke was what I wanted. A couple of days ago, I got to ride my first 4 stroke. It was a 05 YZ250F, I was very inpressed with the power differance over my RM 125. To me it is a little over half way between a 125 and 250 2 stroke in performance.

I am not crazy about the cost and frequancy of the mantinance required for the 4 stroke. New rings and piston for a 2 stroke is more of what I am used to. The guy that let me ride his 250F complained about his getting hot on tight slow going trails. So I am thinking I should maby stay with a 2 stroke. This will likely be my last new bike purchase so I hope that I make a wise choice.

So to the original question. From the specs I have seen, the 300 is actually a 250 motor/crank with a larger cylinder. Would the 250 out last a 300 as far as internals or am I splitting hairs? Would a 250 run cooler in the nasty? How about clutch abuse? Do the two have the same manners as far as down low pull? I do not prefer to ride open areas, I find myself in high gear and water running out of the corners of my eyes. If I stay in the woods with trees clicking the bars I am safer and have lost more smiles.

So which xc-we is likely to last the longest with fewest $ down the road?

Thanks for any coments,suggestions or knowledge with these new rides. I am looking forward to your replys...

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
GSSign said:
I do not prefer to ride open areas, I find myself in high gear and water running out of the corners of my eyes. If I stay in the woods with trees clicking the bars I am safer and have lost more smiles.

Sounds to me like the 250E will suit you fine, either one will last as long when properly maintained.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Ehh, if you fit on the 300, get it.
A 300, with a Pro-Circuit Tq series pipe, flywheel weight, and gears will dominate in the woods. And theoretically, a 300 would make similar power at a lower RPM than a 250. Lower RPM's = Slightly longer piston life. Splitting hairs? Maybe, but there is no replacement for displacement ... Except maybe a YZ250 heheh.

I can tell you this, I rode a KTM 250, and it would make a god awful trail bike. I've rode "faster" bikes, but none that hit "harder", to the point that I would NOT want it for a trail bike. And I think its awesome having a hard hitting powerband. Its just, it makes it much harder to control on the KTM I rode ... Test drive it before you buy it.

MadKaw Mike

May 23, 2006
Why go orange? Take a look at the 2 stroke Husky Wr 250. Great power, sweet looks and you will stand out in a crowd. Their 4 stroke line up is also more reliable and easier to work on than anything else out there. You won't hear much on here about Husky because most Husky owners hang out over on Thumpertalk

Even Gasgas has a great line up of 2 strokes

GSSign

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks for the replys.

Does the 250 have the same otpion to swap the e-valve springs to soften the hit?

Will these new 250/300 xc 2 strokes actually put-put around without fauling plugs? I never ride my 125 when riding with my son or with people that do not hustle. There is nothing wrong with my RM, it simply will not lug around. For that matter, I have never been around anyone with a 2 stroke that would not foul if it was not wrung out often.

I would love to have a new 4 stroke but the overheating and expensive maintinance scares me.

This will likely be "my" last new bike. I hope to be spending my money keeping the right sized bike under my young son. If he goes through bikes as fast as I did, I am in for it.

I always want more power so I automatically want a 300 but I don't want to be foolish and buy to big a motor than what I can enjoy.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
Go with the 300. It's not quite as snappy but is overall more torquey and smooth. As for wear... I would think that the 300 would last longer. You won't have a problem riding it... especially if you like to lug a bike around.

Les Schulz

Apr 30, 2001
My brother and I just purchased 08 250 XC's and let me tell you --------I haven't had so much fun riding off road in my life. Screw the 4 strokes get a KTM 2 stroke.

I just rode my first 450 4 stroke. Fast but not fun. On the same day I rode a 250 Suzuki 4 stoke-------boring!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
a 300 typically makes for a more forgiving ride, especially at slower paces (generally speaking). The additional torque also makes hill climbing a little easier. The 250 tends to work better when ridden agressively, and may pull a little longer. I currently ride a yz250 and enjoy it immensely, but IF I were to pursue a new bike purchase, the ktm 300 (preferably with 6 speeds) would be high on my list of bikes to consider.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
I would go with the 300. Better bottom end and in my own opnion just a more versatile bike. I do not think you would go wrong with either bike. you will learn to ride it and will learn to love it as well. both bikes are great choices and you cant go wrong. I ride a 200 xcw at the moment and I love it. I could use more power but no matter what bike i get i still could use more so........ As for fouling. i sometime have to ride with people that are...well...slow and i have yet to foul. i will lugg the motor almost to the point of no power and i still have yet to foul a plug on my 200.

Both bikes are great choices. if you keep them in good shape they should last as long as you do.

Top Bottom