New 650R mods installed and have problems

JRWYW

Mar 6, 2004
My brother just installed a Power-Up kit and a Big Gun Race exhaust system. He rejetted to a 178 main provided by baja designs. When he restarted the bike it was backfiring just above idle and on deceleration. It also has a dead spot at 1/4 throttle where it will buck/jump/miss, and then it will hesitate reving to WOT from that point. He changed the pilot jet from a 65s to a 68s and he said it seemed to help. He also turned the idle air screw out to 2 3/4 turns and said that it was a little better but any further and it made it worse.

I think he needs to go richer on the pilot. What do you guys think?

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
The 68s should be fine.
Did he change the needle?
Also did he change the rubber intake manifold?
and remove BOTH of the airbox restrictors?
I admit i forgot to remove both of mine at first.......heh heh. :laugh:
Backfiring though? hmmmm. :think:
Sounds like something other than carb., but im a sucky mechanic so .......?

You ought to check out the XR650R group at yahoo.com.
They have all sorts of great info on BRP's.
From jetting to suspention....etc...etc.

JRWYW

Mar 6, 2004
He got a new needle and the clip is in the middle. He removed all the crap from the airbox and installed a new intake. I don't think he tried the 175, but I'll ask. The plug looks a grayish color. He's running at about 1000-4000 FT between 50-80 degrees. He Says the bike runs like a raped ape at WOT, but it has a dead spot when you first crack it open, and pops when you let off. Since he went to a richer pilot and it helped, I figured a even bigger pilot would help more. However I know bigger is now always better.

Feb 16, 2005
GET THE EDELBROCK CARBURATOR. It will make all the differance in the world. I wouldn't have gone with the gun exhaust either. The stock muffler with the HRC tip is the hot ticket

Top Bottom