funktuna

Jan 13, 2006
I picked up a 99 yz250 a couple days ago, my first MX bike. It didn't come with a manual though. I have looked online and all I see are Clymer's that only go up to 1998. Anyone know where I can find the right one. I'll be taking it out to the desert this weekend and I will only be able to perform the things that are fairly obvious. I cleaned and oiled the air filter, and will be adjusting and lubing the chain tommorrow.

I want to change the tranny oil before I leave, so can someone tell me how much to use?

Hopefully I have covered the most important things to check. I imagine that the lubrication stuff can wait until I get a manual that tells me how, if one actually exists.......

Thanks,
Rick

MX Junkie

Jan 3, 2006
Nice bike, I used to own one. If it's brand new out of the crate I would take the swingarm and linkage apart, steering assy, axles and grease them. Definatly check all your bolts. :cool:

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
I was in your boat a few weeks back with purchasing a cr. I bought a service manual from our favourite auction site for cheap nearly new. I know it won't help you out for your ride this weekend, but for future reference it's where to go. My cr takes 650mls once you drain the the case. You might have a check fill bolt that you can remove on the clutch cover side and just fill your tranny until it starts pouring out of the check fill hole. I'd say is should be around the same amount as my cr and possibly 10w 40 oil. Call your dealer perhaps and ask.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
750 ml is spot on , warm the bike up(ride it around till its warm), then open the fill plug and then open the drain plug while its warm, I use Bel Ray Gear Saver 80 wt , but Yamalube 4 20w-40 works great for the gear box as well. I have the manuel from Clymers for 94-98 and they did not change the gear box in 99, also on the right side of the gear box on the original cover it will say 750 ML.

Motomingo

Aug 19, 2008
I got a Yamaha service manual on cd for 5 bucks on ebay has nice pictures and you can print them up it was a year ago i bought it but im sure there is some on ebay still

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You can download a manual from a 2000 yz250 on Yamaha's Australian website for free. Just click on support and follow the directions. They are almost identical bikes. The only meaningful change that comes to mind is the addition of a power jet carb.

Enjoy the new bike!

David

Top Bottom