New big bore thumper stuff.....

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
This week at the races, i was pitted next to Rick Peterson from RPMsBigBore since it seems we have a mutal friend.

It was a good oportunity to check out one of Ricks new big bore kits. He is running a stoker big bore 302 kit on the new KXF/RMZ four strokes. As we all have heard, these bikes are running way hot even as stock so you might think a big bore on these bikes is asking a lot.

What Rick has done is made his own cylinder! a very simple idea where a outer cooling jacket is machined from billet and the inner cylinder is fits inside as a removable sleeve- a similar concept to the two piece heads that we have seen on 2 strokes. the cylinder setup has been dubbed the "IceCube". Right now, they are racing this bike everyweek and really hammering these things hard to try and blow them up, its not until when they have good reliablility that they go up for sale to the public. For this reason i dont think some of the kits for the CRF250 are ready yet, but i am sure it wont be long.

cool stuff indeed.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
a picture paints a million words!

Attachments

• icecube3small.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 225

elf

Jun 7, 2003
The feb issue of dirt bike has a write up on this. The ice cube as they call it looks different in their pics. $2400 is the price, thats a lot of money! They say the cooling capacity is up 20% with there new cylinder. 79mm bore up 4mm, stroke up 8mm. Crankpin is offset 4mm and the rod is 8mm longer. Sounds like a fun bike but a pretty big investment.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
marcusgunby said:
why not just buy a 450 LOL?

... or an Athena 291 kit for about a third that price and no need to change to custom crank setup. :cool:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
It looks cool but the only thing not so cool is the price which seems a bit exaggerated IMO .

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Whoaaa. I just checked in rpms web page. It seems the bolt in kit is $2470, but if you send them your motor its $2770.
That rent must be really high!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
LOL- are you saying i am cheap! :) :eek: :joke:

In all fairness, i think RPM is aiming at the Vet market, they are the ones that spend all the money, right? its obvious you coulnt try and run this at a sancitoned event. My friend raced the bike in the pro class and liked it a lot- his normal ride is a CRF450, but used to race a yzf250- he said the bike had the benfit of both spectrums ie lighter and good handling but the power with the bigger bore keeps it in the pack with the 450s.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…