New bike new hope new questions.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
I just bought a ’02 sx125 and i have new hope getting confident in my riding.

I have not yet ridden under good conditions so i can give a fair judgement on how i like the suspension. However the little riding a have done i think i may want to make the forks softer. I have dissembled the forks and changed the oil and i noticed two things. The oil level was like 190mm, in the manual it says between 120 and 150, i now have about 130mm. The other was the compession valving stack, i didnt take it apart but it looked like a bunch of 24mm following by a few smaller in quite steep order. Im not good on this stuff but it appears to have quite a lot low speed damping but not very much high speed damping. I believe i want it reverse.

Im willing to try revalving it myself but i wonder if you can help me a little. I would like to know better what changes i want to do to get the result i want – less shooting in the air sort of speak. All i know(or think i do) is that the bigger shims affect the low speed and the smaller affect high speed damping and that it's a heck lot more complicated than that. :) So if you know any good webpages describing this subject i would like to know it.

Another problem i have is that when the bike is not acting the way i want im not sure whats the problem. For example i had alot problem with my rm when hitting mid sized bumps in a little higher speed the bike want to bounce and try to throw me off, even more in uphills. I couldnt find out wether it was too much compression or too little rebound.

I really want to learn how the setup inside the suspension affects the handling out on the track.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…