Dirt Man

Aug 4, 2004
I just purchased a new 2005 KDX 220R and have not had a chance to ride it as of yet. I have been really enjoying the posted threads in this forum. There is a lot of information for someone just getting back into riding. So much, that I'm having a hard time understanding if my new bike has been changed at all to eliminate the concerns of past years. Such as; the fork spring enhancement or the need for a steering stabilizer, etc. :think:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Your bike hasn't changed at all in nearly ten years. It didn't need to. Unless your an advanced rider I don't think you'll have any real, "concerns". Your going to love your new bike. The springs are fine for you to ride for now. Down the road you can get some stiffer ones for $60.00 if you like. Every bike needs a steering stabilizer IMO. The only thing I would do right now is get a pipe and some armor. Have fun!

Dirt Man

Aug 4, 2004
Thanks Brad. What does IMO stand for? Also, I had a Husky WR400 (two stroke) about ten years ago and really enjoyed it's low end power for steep hills etc. Without having a chance to ride My new KDX before my purchase, my biggest concern was getting a smaller bore bike. What are your thoughts on the 220's power after getting a pipe? Is it adequate for most average riders? I will be in the sand sometimes. I also realize that it is unfair to compare the two bikes, but I still have a chance to buy a Husky 360 WR (the last of the big bore two strokes). I realize that this a hard question to answer, however, I haven't been able to ride any of these new bikes before purchase.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Lot's of oppinioins on pipes here. I went with the FMF dessert pipe. I later added the 13/50 sprockets which helped my hill climbing ability a lot. It's not a KDX 'till you get the pipe. ;)

Dirt Man

Aug 4, 2004
Thanks for all the info. If I'm understanding everyone correctly, I will need a pipe and possibly a new "higher quality" piston. I know that the manufacture recommends to replace the piston after break-in. Honestly, how many out of ten people replace it at that time? I was thinking during winter or when time permits.

Top Bottom