Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
I just had my 94' KDX200 engine rebuilt by one of the local shops. I sent it to be rebuilt because one day while riding it went lean on the pilot and wouldn't idle. The flywheel cover was also filled with oil, so the crank seal must of been leaking.
Last time it was rebuilt was just afer I bought it 3 years ago, just the bottom end because the top end was still good.

The engine was a mess this time, the crank bearings were gone along with the transmission bearings. The crank pin out of spec and pitted, the con rod big end bearing was bad. The cylinder had a slight scuff on the exhaust side and the exhaust port where the main valve is was cracked. There was a lip at the top of the cylinder from the rings, there was so little compression I could start it just by thing about it.

Anyways I got the engine back a couple of days ago after putting down $1200 cdn. It has a new vertex piston, recoated cylinder from Mongoose Machine, new rod and bearings everywhere. I also modified the stock pipe.
The bike before had and still does have a steahly flywheel weight, wiseco piston, and a 1/2 inch reed spacer with 45p jet, stock needle in middle position, and 158 main (which is too rich).

I thought the bike would scream with the new cylinder, piston and the modded pipe. Total opposite, I can push the bike faster, it ran better before. For breakin I took it easy for the first couple of hours. It now has three hours on it. The bike still pings on deceleration (it did that on the last ride before rebuilding, I know it's lean), it has flat spots in the mid range where it comes up to a top end which is stupid. It won't rev out in any gear not even neutral, it feels like the wiseco piston before it was warmed up. I could top out at 70 mph before now it tops out at 52mph with lots of throttle movement left, but physically won't rev any futher.

I know my jetting is off, but for the bike not to rev out it seems the problem isn't jetting. Could the timing be off, not broken in yet, exhaust leak, the pipe itself, reeds (they're still good), to rich or lean main jet. I'm stumped and would appreciate any help.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
Tamean

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
I'm no expert but I'd be curious if the ports were mapped in spec after the cylinder recoat? Everybody laugh at me if I'm wrong. Could be something much more simple.

Tamean said:
I also modified the stock pipe.
...you didn't squish it up and fill it with lead did you? :joke:

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
as with any KDX question, the most common answer is: KIPS.....I would #1, make sure its working - there are easy ways to verify that. #2 Get your jetting spec'd right. #3 then go after the timing. I'm having issues with mine where she won't pull anything into the high RPMs - I've eliminated everything and now I am going after the electronics - but I mean mine is bad...I can short shift it fine but as soon as I try to get on the pipe it runs like crap.....detonating all over the place, no power....its awful...check all your grounds in the meantime - quite possible one is loose/has bad connection.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Tamean said:
it has flat spots in the mid range where it comes up to a top end which is stupid.

KIPS... of course, now why didn't I pick that up before? Hey, a working KIPS changes the ports doesn't it!? ;) Good luck troubleshooting. Make the exhaust gases your friend.

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
Thanks for the replies. The KIPS wasn't working as you all guested. It was hung up, when I pulled it apart it wouldn't even move.
So it does rev up now, BUT there's another problem, it can't be revved for more than a couple of seconds before bogging like there's no gas or the kill switch was pushed. Then I pull the clutch in give some gas and it stays running but idles high and erratically. It did that again when I was putting back to the truck.
I'm going to check the grounds right now, along with the carburetor. I read on the Just KDX site that when you add mods you should go one jet leaner; which I haven't done, theoretically making me run rich. But I've run 162 main when it should of had a 155 and it ran good. But then it might go deeper than just a main jet.

Tamean

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Seeing that you can get high revs before it bogs on you doesn't indicate a jetting issue causing the bogging.... Probably a fuel issue or electronics as you indicated. Not saying that your jetting is right... just not the cause of the bog after the rev.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
a couple of questions - does it rev high like the bikes do when they run out of gas and hit that super lean patch? just a suggestion, but is your float level correct? All of your carb vent lines clear? drain the carb - i've seen bikes come thru that have a little bit of water or dirt in the float bowl and they can intermittenly block/unblock the main jet. Changing your main down to what say, FMF or Fredette 'suggest' is a quick easy fix - and you can rule out that it is NOT your jetting. you said earlier that you took it easy for 1st 3 hours - what does the plug look like now? nail down that it is NOT KIPS, not Fuel/Carb/Jetting then go after electrics..

Top Bottom