New FMF pipe

ledzeppdude

May 11, 2006
Hi, I just got the fmf gnarly pipe and a powercore 2 silencer for my 2002 kdx200. I was wondering if anybody else with the pipe experiences a big hit at the top-end of the powerband like mine does? I was told that it would help only the bottom to mid-range part of it. It does increase the entire powerband but, I was surprised by the big hit at the top (which I do like by the way). Does anyone else experience this?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Which Gnarly pipe do you have (-35 torque or the -30 rev)? I only get a hit with my -30 pipe. My -35 is pretty smooth all of the way through the power band. Remember, to maximize the power the pipe can give you it's necessary to rejet your carb (leaner on the main jet).

ledzeppdude

May 11, 2006
Is there something wrong with my pipe if theres not supposed to be hit? It has a strong smooth pull from idle to mid-range then it just rockets in the top-end feeling like it has twice the power.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I believe 200's respond better on top to that pipe than 220's. Jetting plays a big role in the hit. You may need to re jet the pilot and move up the clip to gain more low end performance. It should make the hit less abrupt because your bottom end will be that much better and your bike will pull better everywhere. I've got that pipe combo and except for very hot days my 220 can loft the front in 1-4 with relative ease but still remain very controllable.

ledzeppdude

May 11, 2006
Yeah, I think it might be a jetting issue because all I've done to the intake system is remove the airbox lid. I'll try to find some specific jetting recommendations. Thanks everyone. ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…