New Here. Can you help?

Crzzy

Apr 20, 2008
Hey, yea I am new here. I have a 2003 Honda 400EX, but I have been wanting a bike for a long time. Since I have a 4 stroker already, I want a 2 stroke. My question is, what bike should I get? I have ridden my buddy's TTR125 and I neeed more power. Here are some of my needs and wants:

Needs to be a 2 stroke
anywhere from 80-125cc
I weigh 235lbs
and I am 5' 8''
anywhere from 0-$750

I want power but I am kind of scared of the powerband, but hey, it will just make me tougher.

I have been looking into the Honda cr85r and the cr80. I dont know what is different? 5cc's and the look? does one run better? I dont really want anything short, no I DONT want anything real short. If someone could find the specs on the cr80 it would be great! ;) It needs good/great aftermarket suport. Perfuribly a Honda. If there is anything else I forgot, tell me!

Well, Thank You!!
-Later

Apr 30, 2007
I have a CR 80 Expert model. They are not made to haul around someone your size. The CR 85 is also too small.

I would tentatively suggest the CR125. If you go back a few years and get one from 95-96ish, you should find something in your price range...It will blow the socks off the TTR 125...Just respect the throttle (don't twist it all the way right away...) and it will respect you.

Also...what type of riding are you doing? If you fill this out completely...we may give some better help...for example...

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
like Justalonewolf said, anything smaller than a 125 will not suit you at all. They won't have the power you need and the frame will be too small for your size. I know several people who have messed themselves up good messing around on a bike that was too small. All that weight that high on a short wheel base is asking for a quick trip over the handlebars.

You should be able to get the specifications for just about any bike by going to the manufacturer's web site. Of course it will be for the current model but most of the main specifications, such as seat height, wheel base, etc. will remain the same over the years.

When you get up to the 125cc two strokes you will be in a full size bike. The suspension will handle your weight no problem. The power will be great on the flat. Hill climbs will be a challenge. Doable, but a challenge.

To get into your price range you will probably need to go 20 years old or so. There is a lot of junk out there but there are also a lot of good bikes with plenty of life left in them. Don't buy a bike that is missing a lot of parts or needs anything to be useable. Be selective and have a critical eye and you should be able to pick up a reasonable bike in that price range.

As for the brand, any of the major manufacturers should be fine. Pick your favorite color. I have a 1986 Yamaha YZ-125 and I don't have any problem getting parts. Everyday parts, like clutch/brake levers, handlebars, cables, chain, sprockets, top end rebuild kits (piston & rings) etc. I can go to almost any bike shop and buy. I can still order most of the common parts, such as chain guides, chain rollers, brake pads, fork seals, and even plastics directly from an OEM dealer, and what I can't get from an OEM dealer I have been able to find good used parts online.

I assume that you have a helmet and goggles already. You should also buy yourself a reasonable pair of boots. You can get away without boots riding a quad but they are essential for riding a dirt bike. Same with gloves. A chest protector and knee pads are also highly recommended. Remember, you can ride a quad forever and never go down, but the odds of dumping the bike are pretty close to 100%. Having the right gear will allow you to get up and keep going.

Rod

Crzzy

Apr 20, 2008
Thanks for all your help guys!!! There is a guy down the street with a YZ125 (2002). I test rode it, and lets just say, I only got about 3 hours of sleep that night. haha

I have a helmet, and thats all I use. I read that comment about the quad, and never crashing. Thats not ture. On the side of my 400EX, there is a sticker that says "No Fear", and its there for a reason. Its about 80% ture. I will try just about anything, and that is what makes it dangerious. Just the other day, I was trying to go sideways up a hill the turn about 90 degrees (while going up) and I fliped it 2 times.. almost landed on me.. haha..

But anyway.. I am so stoked. Forgot to say, he wants 1K for the YZ.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008

That is a good price for an 02 yz125 and like they said anything smaller than a 125cc is too small for you... i am 5"2 and about 130lbs and i ride a DRZ125L (four stroke) and i am too big for it and has no were near the amount of power i would like....

Go with the yz125 :nod:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Crzzy said:
I have a helmet, and thats all I use. I read that comment about the quad, and never crashing. Thats not ture. On the side of my 400EX, there is a sticker that says "No Fear", and its there for a reason.

It's not fear that makes us wear proper gear.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Crzzy said:
I have a helmet, and thats all I use..

I didn't mean to imply that you never crash on a quad. I was saying that it was possible to ride a quad and not any sort of incident where safety gear would be put to the test.

While that's technically possible on a bike it is not likely. I take a spill of some sort just about every time I ride. Most often it is a simple "lay the bike" in a turn or a drop after failing to climb a hill. Ocassionally it is a major tumble. The proper gear allows me to get up and keep going.

Even if you don't go down your feet and ankles will be put in harms way. You wouldn't typically put a foot down while riding a quad, but this happens regularly when riding a dirt bike. If you are not wearing proper boots your leg is going to suffer. Have you ever stubbed your toe at 30 MPH?

Helmet, goggles, boots and gloves are what I consider to be the minimum. I highly recommend knee pads and a chest protector.

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
Buy a chest protector and boots man, and NEVER ride without that gear

I cannot stress that enough.

Mine just saved my life today, as did my helmet.

I ignored my fear, and things went badly. That said, (and as a psychologist) it needs to be explained that fear does exist for a reason. Riding over your head usually gets you hurt...but a lot of times it hurts someone else too.

Enjoy the bike, but keep it in control and rubber side down!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…