New Here, would love some help.

TjClark

Dec 4, 2007
Hi there. I'm new here and I am hoping for some help here. I recently went to the fourwheeler side for 2 years, but I know now that dirt bikes are the way to go. I don't know if I want to get a 125 or a 250. I would get a 125, but I am not sure if a 125 will carry me around well.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I'm 5'11" and weight roughly 200lbs with all equipment on.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I would say I'm very agressive.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
I plan to ride homemade MX tracks plus some professional ones once a month. I ride a little bit of woods, not much. The main type of riding I do is pit riding with some jumps added with all my buddies.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I have dirt biked since I was 3 and a half, and am now 15, but I stopped 2 years ago to ride four wheelers. I currently ride a Raptor 660, but I want to go back to bikes. The last bike I rode was an old 1984 CR125.

5) Do you think you will race ?
No I don't think I will race professionally, but I am always having to compete against my friends:).

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
My dad and I are both very mechanically inclined. If I ever get stuck on something, by dad always helps.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
2 Stroke, and I am trying to stay away from the Hondas.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
No I don't have any dealers around here. I plan to buy my bike used from classifieds.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Under 3000 CANADIAN.

10) Do you live in California?
Nope.

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I know how to ride, but I might need sometime to get used to bikes again.

Thanks in advance.

TjClark

Dec 4, 2007
With the amount of money I want to spend, the year will have to be under 2001. Are the RM's good before those years, like 1999 - 2001?

Thanks for the quick response too.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Why wouldn't a 125 pull you around? If you're not racing competivley than I think it would be good.
I've RM125's are pretty good, not sure about that year though.

TjClark

Dec 4, 2007
Well, I just was thinking it wouldn't like that much weight on it. And I will be hitting some jumps and I am on the tracks in the pits everyday in the summer. Which includes some berms and a 30 foot double. And smaller jumps.

It's still in the air whether I will go with 125 or 250.

Thanks for the response.

Jan 3, 2007
Get a 125. If you thoughtthe 84 was fast find a KTM 125SX. Those bikes fly but any of the late model 125 2 strokes are all good for your use as stated.

TjClark

Dec 4, 2007
Thanks a lot for the great responses.

I will most likely go with a 2002 YZ 125 now, and get the shocks rebuilt to my needs.

Oh I don't know why I don't like Honda's, I just never really liked em. The only way I would buy one is if it was going to be an old one, Honda's last forever.

Thanks again.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…