New KDX 220 owners take note.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hey guys, I have a few main jets from my stock PWK 33MM that I don't need any more. 142-145-148 mains. Make me an offer for them and they are yours. I had my carb modded by RB designs and with a 36MM these are just too lean for me now. Well the 148 main might work in 100 degree weather but I ain't riding if it that hot anyway! :eek:

On another note if you are accustomed to a little jetting it is IMHO that the stock R1173 needle jet is a bit lean for that bike when placed in the best #2 slot. Try a CEL instead, this needle pulls off bottom 1/4 throttle and has a nice hit in the midrange that will make you grin, I promise. Try in the #3 position. :

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Hey Fred,
Are you using the CEL needle with your stock carb? or the bored carb. I have played around with the CEL on the stock carb, and I found that it loaded up too much with stock jets and one size up on both as well. The only thing that I can understand is that in the 40 degree weather I have right now, my plug is still reading too lean under WOT tests no matter what main I have in there. 150 to stock is still too white? Even with the CEL needle. I have checked for an air leak using carb cleaner with the bike running and I have no leaks. What the heck am I missing? The one thing I can tell you is that once it gets cleared up....DAMN look out for that acceleration. It comes alive, but I depend on too much bottom to accept this bog at the low end. I am beginning to get frustrated with jetting. :ugg:

B.

Meepanger

Jan 28, 2002
help fred

i was going to wat but now ihave to speak up. i think i will need to rejet will youre old jets work? if not tell me what you think.2000 220 mod airbox boy reeds fmf torque pipe turbine core spark arrestor silencer my main riding area tolland mass. is probably 800 ft above sea level.someone help? i rode today and almost looped out shifting into third ,but im spooging on the rear fender ? help!!!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Gys the jets are spoken for I think, I got PM'ed.

Tantrum
I now have an RB mod carb, but the CEL works on the stocker -I use a CEK or CEJ right now.
I would think you are too rich on the pilot . Are you more than 1.5 turns out on your a/s? The CEL is much richer off idle to 1/4 throttle than the R1173 stock needle. Try 40 PILOT.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Re: help fred

Standard starting point on the 220 is:
145 or 148 main jet depending on temp.
stock needle in #2 (CEL #3 is better)
42 pilot
a/s between 3/4 and 1 1/2 truns out.

Now what pipe is that KG 30 or KG 35??? 35 can run leaner jetting, thats the torque pipe. I prefer the kg 30 rev on the 220.

http://www.sudco.com/ for jets

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Re: Gys the jets are spoken for I think, I got PM'ed.

Great Fred T, I'll try that combination. For some reason I thought that when you re-jetted that you would have to go up a size in both jets. So that is why I bogged off idle with the CEL. I was using a 45 pilot and that must have been my problem. I'll get a 40 and leave the stocker main in there. I was just trying to be careful not to go lean because of the temps here, they have dropped to the 30-40's. My bike ran great during the summer, but it started to get a flat spot in the low end with the temps being all cold. What combination have you ran with these temps if it gets this cold where you are at. I've got all the usual mods, pipe is the KG-35.

B.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…