New magazine article on old KDX

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Just received some items from Motorcycle-Superstore.com and a copy of MOTOUSA magazine was included. It's Issue One 2010.
On page 18 is a short article on the 1980 KDX175 Uni-Trac.
It talks about the good, the bad, and the ugly that came with the purchase of one of those early KDX's.
It's very interesting to learn about the predecessor of our modern water-cooled 200's and 220's.
Just an FYI........

Last edited:

mike koenig

Dec 29, 2009
Hi Mudpack,
That would be an interesting read. I am currently restoring an '81 KDX 175 which will be turned into a 200 by bolting on an '83 KDX 200 top end, and will swap out the triples/forks and rear shock with an '81 KX 125 to get a full 12" of travel front and rear. I raced a bone stock '81 KDX 175 in hare scrambles and enduros for a number of years and found it to be overall an excellent bike. Couldn't compare it to today's bikes though as I have not ridden anything newer than an '83. The suspension is a bit on the short side and the drum brakes need steady attention to keep them working well, but it tracked straight and overall handled very well. And top end rebuilds take, oh, about 30 minutes or so. Dirt bike mag did a hop up article in Sept '81 about the bike which is an interesting read. Overall, though, I remember that when the 1980 KDX 175 came out it just blew everything away in the woods. That being said though I don't really care for smaller bikes, given the relative lack of power. I just started a resto on an '81 KDX 420 which should be overall a pretty decent bike, but heavy. If anyone is iinterested in pictures, I'll put them up in the future. Is anyone else out there into restoring and racing evo/post-vintage dirt bikes?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom