lakotie

Sep 22, 2005
hey there everybody! ive been looking for a site to get some help with a 1974 Suzuki TS100....i hope someone can help;.....ok heres the problem...on the TS, the carb is on the right side of the engine....with a rotary valve....ok heres the deal.....there is a cover over the carb....with the cover off...the bike runs great.....as soon as the cover is put on, it runs like it is getting choked....even with the air filter off, it just doesn't run right...the carb is clean, and it has good secondary compression....there is what seems to be (or has been) a base gasket leak...would this seem to be the problem? i am stumped, i have tried many things, but nothing.....the exhaust is not clogged either....please msg me here or at lakotie@hotmail.com
thank-you very much...
Chris

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Put this in the "general repair" section quick before one of the wonderful mods (aka thread nazis) locks it! :)

seriously though, you'll get a lot more response over there. good luck.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
HajiWasAPunk said:
Put this in the "general repair" section quick before one of the wonderful mods (aka thread nazis) locks it! :)

Bad Haji ... off to the corner with you ;)

HajiWasAPunk said:
seriously though, you'll get a lot more response over there. good luck.

As you are asking very specific questions about a vintage bike, I am going to move this to the Vintage Bike forum.

Come back and grab a spot on the couch and start a new thread in the New Member? Welcome! Go here first forum and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with fellow DRNers in your area.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

originaldirt

Apr 25, 2000
Ts100

Ok, it took me several days to ponder this problem. It's been about 30 years since I worked on one of those. I think your problem is a leaking crankshaft seal. With good secondary compression but having the symptoms you reveal, it sounds as if it is losing the vacuum and compression in the lower end to make it run properly.
First remove the mag cover and check for any signs of dampness near, around or behind the mag flywheel. It may appear as a "wet stain" or have condensation bubbles on the engine case itself. With the way it is running/not there is no easy way to check the wet seal behind the rotary valve without a significant teardown and if you are that far replace it anyways. Also, while the mag cover is off grab the flywheel and try to move it any ways but ina circular motion. Lift up/down, move left/right, pull in/out. Any micro detectable "clic" will indicate the crankshaft case bearings are bad and have sagged the crank into the dry seal. Now we're talking major rebuild. It is very common for crank case seals to go bad after years of not running. The buna rubber in the seal drys out or the seal sticks to the crankshaft and tears, or the beaings crap out and sag the crank. It all comes with 2-strokes.

OriginaDirt

Top Bottom