Blaise22

Jan 8, 2008
Which would give me the more noticeable increase in performance overall, a white bros aluminum pro, fmf 4.1, or any others that you guys can think of. Thanks for all the help iv gotten from all of you these past few days :)
It's for a yz250f

Blaise22

Jan 8, 2008
Ive pretty much narrowed it down between the white bros. pipe and doctor d's pipe. Out of these two which would give me more low-end power?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
All pipe manufactures claim to be the best. FMF has a bulge gimmick in the mid pipe section, Pro Circuit has great riders and lots of advertising dollars, most pipes are copies of each other with their respective companies muffler section.

I don't have a Yamaha or a Doctor "D" pipe on my ride but I have friends with Yamaha Thumpers and they were very happy with their ride. Doug, (Dr. D) was a former factory Yamaha star and test rider that started making his own pipes for Yamaha's and that's why I think that his pipes are about as good as you will find for a Yamaha. If you get the stainless steel version the price is very reasonable.

Good luck with what every you get, most are better than stock...

Blaise22

Jan 8, 2008
Thanks for all the replies guys :cool: I think Im going to go with the ss drd just beacuse he specializes in yamaha's and its the cheapest :nod:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The only pipe currently on the market that will provide a really noticeable increase in the low to mid range is the Thunder Alley megaphone design. It's a true 8 degree meg with a proper 32 degree reverse cone. The Dubach pipe is a good design and it is really well made but it's still just a variation on a straight pipe design with a standard absorption style muffler. The Thunder Alley meg is a pipe that has to be hand built so the big volume California shops won't deal with this type of design.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Rich I went to the Thunder Alley web site, interesting design.

Are you aware of any comparison data floating around by a third party. The mega phone design has worked well in the past so you have my attention...

I'm always interested in stuff that works.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
BigRedAF said:
Rich I went to the Thunder Alley web site, interesting design.

Are you aware of any comparison data floating around by a third party. The mega phone design has worked well in the past so you have my attention...

I'm always interested in stuff that works.

Bob Murray at Thunder Alley runs a small shop building each pipe by hand, so he doesn't have the money or the juice to get a magazine test. I don't think you'll find the guys making $800 pipes that don't do much of anything comparing themselves to a $250 pipe like the TA that actually works. I think it might be bad for business. ;)

From my own testing the basic 8/32 meg design is the right one for the type of power we are talking about. All the pipes I've made myself over the years have been of similar design, so it was nice to be able to buy one that was already available and incredibly well made.

I don't have any BS dynojet charts to show you. I just did seat of the pants testing on the track with a few riders on my CRF450 and some basic data acquisition studies on the street with timing beacons in Supermoto trim to confirm the seat observations were real.

It's a good design, it works, it's well made, it fits better than the OEM Honda part and it's priced for racers not high profits. Is it the best pipe? Beats me, but I've yet to find or build one that did a better job of filling in the torque curve below the peak torque rpm. This holds true for the CRF and my YZ444F Supermoto. I built a couple of pipes for this bike and even tested with a high dollar Italian Arrow stepped system. The Thunder Alley pipe I borrowed for the YZF felt every bit as strong as the Arrow from an on bike perspective, but the Arrow pipe was much quieter so it got the nod for street riding.

The downsides :

- the TA meg portion is mild steel so it has to be maintained or ceramic coated. Mine is non-coated, but gets the scotchbrite and WD40 treatment now and then. The muffler is aluminum so it's no trouble.

- the very nature of how a meg performs it's wave tuning magic makes this pipe very loud. Bob has some quiet inserts but I've never tested them. It is probably too loud for areas that are noise sensitive, but that holds true for most of the pipes I've seen that make any power. The few quiet pipes like the FMF Q just kill the response of the engine. Single absorption style mufflers are not likely to be the long term answer for making good power and keeping quiet.

I am still running the same TA pipe on my CRF450 Supermoto bike that I bought 5 years ago, and it still looks good, and performs like a champ.

On top of it all Bob Murray is one of the genuine nice guys in the motorcycle business who really goes the mile for his customers.

Here's a little review I wrote on the pipe when I first started testing them on my CRF450.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=53760&highlight=thunder+alley

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Blaise22

Jan 8, 2008
How do I order it? do I just call him up, tell him what I want, and then meet him at elsinore. was that review with just the slip on or the complete system including the header (How much for whole system).

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I tested just the slip-on version on both the CRF & YZF. Give Bob a call and tell him what you are looking for. He'll help you make the right call.

Blaise22

Jan 8, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:
I tested just the slip-on version on both the CRF & YZF. Give Bob a call and tell him what you are looking for. He'll help you make the right call.

Sweet, thanks for all the info Rich :cool:

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Rich,

Thanks for the details, I read the link info too. If I go the way of a thumper I'll look into it. The price makes it worth trying. With a nice bright ceramic coating that pipe would look great too.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I second the Thunder Alley.I have one on my 04 crf450 and LOVE it! I can venture to say it will improve your cornering with the throttle response it will give you.AND I get compliments on how the pipe sounds...it has a distinctive sound of it own.I bought it after reading Richs' review.

Blaise22

Jan 8, 2008
RYDMOTO said:
I second the Thunder Alley.I have one on my 04 crf450 and LOVE it! I can venture to say it will improve your cornering with the throttle response it will give you.AND I get compliments on how the pipe sounds...it has a distinctive sound of it own.I bought it after reading Richs' review.

Do you have the complete system or just the slip on?

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I bought just the slip on.I am not sure if the header pipe would add anything or not.Rich might know or or I am sure if you ask Bob he will be truthful.Just so you know it might take a while to receive your order as they are made by hand but well worth the wait.

Top Bottom