mr binky

Nov 22, 2002
k, ive had my bike for about a year now, i bought it used, its a 99 rm 125. i ride pretty hard evrey other weekend and some during the week. Ive noticed that its hard to crank the starter isnt hard to push down though, wont idle and fouls plugs really bad. The local bike shope owner (dirt and street cycle if yall live in nc) said that i was loosing compression and thats what i figured was happeneing. Now for the question, do i replace the piston and rings or just the rings. and where is the cheapest place to get these from???
thx for all the help
Mr.Binky

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If your bike has been ridden as much as you say, I would do a whole new top-end. Piston/Rings/Circlip/Wrist Pin/Upper Bearing/Gaskets... just putting in new rings is asking for trouble with that many hours on the current.

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
buy a new top end kit, (piston,bearing,gaskets,wrist pin and clips) clean your powervalve, you can have also bad rings if you have bad compression the rings can be worn due to blowby of the pressure in the cylinder going into the crankcase, you can also have bad crank seals, the oil from your gearbox is going into the cylinder and into the combustion chamber causing your plugs to foul, i buy my top-ends from yamaha of troy they run about 89.00 for the whole kit, sounds to me like you have to replace your top-end

Top Bottom