WutWut

Aug 27, 2009
Hey I'm 21 5'11" 160lbs, a new rider and i'm looking to get a dual-sport for trails/jumps during summer, and to commute during the winter (in town, highway, etc). I'm looking at the Suzuki DR650 and DRZ400, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like an agile bike for offroad in the summer with enough power to plow through some snow in winter. Feel free to give any advice on tips or tricks, what kind of stuff to buy for the bike, and how to maintain the bike during both summer and especially winter. THANKS!

WutWut

Aug 27, 2009
Alright after some reading I've narrowed it down to the DRZ400 and KTM 450EXC. The KTM from what I've gathered is the better bike but costs more, and requires more maintenance. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the EXC's during cold snowy winters?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The KTM 450EXC is what I refer as a high performance dirt bike. It is an excellent choice for dual sport rides, enduros and basic all around use. I would not recommend it for commuting, however.

The high performance engines require extensive maintenance, including top end rebuilds after only 20 to 30 hours of use. I wouldn't want to use up my hours commuting to work every day.

Tires are another issue. A tire that is good in the dirt is going to get torn up driving on pavement and a tire good for the highway won't give you much traction in the dirt.

I don't recommend any bike in the snow. My tiny bit of experience with riding a dirt bike in the snow is that power was not an issue.

You need to decide if you want your bike to be primarily for the highway and ride some dirt roads or if you want an off road bike that can will be legal on the short hops down public roads.

rod

WutWut

Aug 27, 2009
I'd guess 85% road 15% dirt, slightly more dirt during summer. I will be riding it during winter and being outside wrenching every 20 hours of riding is not something I want to do. I noticed the WR250X, does anyone have experience with it?

Top Bottom