Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
I have a 00 YZ 250 and have a wiseco piston and rings with about 20 hours on it. I am thinking of putting on a new set of rings, do I need to replace the bearing and pin also, or can I just put on a new set of rings?

Thanks!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It ain't gonna help you pass on the Vet track pal!!:p
:)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You can just put rings in it. While you have it apart, measure the piston to see if it is worn past the limits. If it is then replace it too.

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
Thanks RM_guy!

And Elk, trust me, I'm not going to have that problem again, I'll just make sure that I start ahead of you instead of behinid you :moon: Besides, I know that you're blown after one good moto :p

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm just reeling you in!!:)

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
It's easy to check the pin and bearing if you're in the motor anyway. The pin should be nice and snug in the piston, no noticeable play at all. The same for the pin in the rod. Check for play in the big end bearing as well - some side to side play is acceptable here, but none up and down. Use new circlips when you put it back together and make sure they're properly seated. Checking this stuff only takes a couple minutes once the top end is apart, it can save you big problems.

Have fun, Bruce

Last edited:

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
Thanks for your help guys (excluding Elk :silly: :) ).

Now for part 2 of the question: Since I have a Wiseco piston, do I need to replace the rings with Wiseco or can I use OEM?? I'm guessing that I should stick with Wiseco, but. . .

Thanks again.:)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Anytime Bill!:p
Go with the thin rings, that way you can squeeze by on the Vet track!:)
Elk

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I figure that since I paid to use the track, I'd enjoy the WHOLE thing!!:) You can use me as a berm if you want, it's been done before. HAHAHA
Elk

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I ain't roomin with THAT guy, he rides a YAMAHA!
Elk

Top Bottom