minidog

May 18, 2002
Just finished new front(21#) and rear spring (4.8) install today-rear sag set to 95mm with a little too much free sag for me(1-1/4'') mxtech said 4.8 spring is right for my weight(150) so I guess this is right. Front end is much stiffer now and bike really responds alot better for the quick ride I took after installation(can you believe its snowing here). I can really tell a difference so I think the money was well spent and I really enjoyed working on this project. Ended up using metal spacers that came with bike - cut them with pipe cutters, worked really well.

svtrb

Aug 20, 2002
I also have the same springs as you do and I found my free sag around 1 3/16" with rear sag at 3 7/8". After riding in a tight wooded area the front end was pushing and would not stick in the turns. So, I moved the rear sag to 3 11/16" and the free sag ended up alittle over an inch. Now the front stays in the turns and the rear tracks great. I am also looking at moving the rear axle all the way back in the swingarm slot to extend the wheelbase.

minidog

May 18, 2002
Quick question-noticed on rear spring that it was longer than stock unit and on the shock adjusting ring at top of shock there is only about 1 inch or so of threads left-was looking in manual and it said adjusting range of anywhere between 3 and 4 inches from top of shock mount. Will this create any problems? Also noticed with bike in garage, was holding front brake lever and compressing front fork that there was a slight notchy feel and sound towards top of stroke-not noticeable while riding. Any comments would be appreciated.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: notchy feel

You referring to 'stiction'? The bit`o grab that is not uncommon in forks? Maybe you just didn't notice it before. Shouldn't be related to a different spring.

Maybe you're noticing the floating front rotor for the first time? With the front brake on, sit and bounce it around, you'll feel and hear that.

re: sound
You may well end up with a noise if you threaded the cap into the fork as opposed to threading the fork onto the cap. That's been a common complaint on this board.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Quote: re: sound
You may well end up with a noise if you threaded the cap into the fork as opposed to threading the fork onto the cap. That's been a common complaint on this board.

CC,

How does it make a difference, whether you turn the cap or the fork? I don't understand. Is it because turning the cap turns the damping rod that is attached to it?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hey! I didn't say I understood it...just that it happens!! ;)

Yes, one way does turn the rod. I don't know if that's the deciding factor or not....just that it's been a complaint on this board before, the method was suggested (if I knew by whom, I would gladly reference the post) and it works. Well, worked for me and reportedly worked for others.

I'm sure the answer is relatively simple (you are likely correct about the rod), but I don't know what it is.

That's what I do best! 'Tis why I'm affectionately and lovingly known as 'canynclutter'.

Cheers! :)

minidog

May 18, 2002
Thanks-looking at replies, not that much to worry about on front forks. Whats the opinion about rear spring with not much thread left-will this create any problems? Getting ready to replace headlight assembly (broken) with mx plate. Anyone know where to order one that has a good fit and looks good (white prefered). Should I go to dealer for a kx unit that probably wont fit well or does any company sell one for this bike? Freddette Racing has a unit but it looks as though its all green.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
If oyu want an MX plate, go wiht the 1996 Suzuki RM125/250 Mx plate. This one has the fork guards attatched, and you can remove the black fork boots. it comes in 3 different colors, black, yellow, and white. i got mine for like 26 dollars on rockymountain atv. and I also zip tied it on. it looks awesome

svtrb

Aug 20, 2002
I have a 4.8kg Race Tech spring and I have had no problems with the spring being longer. Mine also has about 1 inch of threads left. So far so good.

Top Bottom