caz

May 13, 2006
Hey guys... just picked up an 01 RM125 today and had some questions. I've searched around but haven't found the information I'm looking for. I purchased it from a local motorsports dealership. The bike is very clean and rides great. Being new to 2-strokes I just need some beginner information. How much should this thing smoke? I guess that was the most overwhelming part of it. Not used to that from riding 4-strokes as a kid. How long does it need to warm up? What oil to use, plug, pipe suggestions, etc. Just looking for some good beginner info to get me going. Answers would be great or point me in a good direction. Thanks guys :)

faceplantin

Apr 24, 2006
New to 2 strokes

I have similar questions. I've always had thumpers and just picked up an 02 KX65 for my son. I did a quick teardown/cleaning and replaced the plug, airfilter, oil, gas at 32:1, checked the reeds, and cleaned the carb. Accorinding to team green specs, the jetting and clip position are set to stock. It's still quite a smoker. It runs great except for some cracking at just over 1/4 throttle which would indicate a rich condition. I'm going to move the clip up one and do a plug reading. Not sure if that is the cause of the excess smoke.

I believe light smoke is normal.

Last edited:

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
it should warm up for few minutes wait until you feel the cylinder get warm, and then putt it around easy for another minute or so.
personally i use 10w40, but i also change it after every 2 races,
be sure to check the filter, and just check nuts and bolts for looseness, also be sure not to forget to grease those bearings, their every where ie:suspension, steering,

caz

May 13, 2006
wow, this thing really rides awesome. It only smokes a little when cold. After really tearing around on it, it will puff a bit here and there... only blue... but as you said, it blends w/ the air when riding. I LOVE IT! :ride:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I have a 2002 - same generation.

If I recall, the Suzuki factory team used the "Bill's pipe" and silencer in 01-02.

The factory recommended plug is quite expensive ($25+/-)because it has a specially designed tip/electrode which prevents breakage of the tip as a result of the high vibration level in the motor. Other plugs will work, but I prefer to be on the safe side.

If the bike is jetted correctly, you can run the same plug without fouling for months. I went seven months of riding and racing last year on the same plug. I replaced it this spring because I figured it was getting old - not because I noticed any power loss.

Since it's a Suzuki, you will likely run into some clutch issues - unless the previous owner replaced the clutch components with aftermarket ones - and you still may have trouble (as I have recently).

If/when you need to replace the clutch components, look at the Hinson stuff - expensive but worth it from all accounts I've read.

Finally, if you ever decide you want more power, you can look into a 144cc overbore. . . :laugh:

indynotch50

Oct 13, 2004
Caz, what oil, crankcase or mix, crankcase use regular motor oil, mix oil use only mix oil, all local cycle shops will have this. I apologize if this is duh, but if it isn't, I just saved you a lot...as far as mixing goes...there are charts on the back of the bottle, 32:1 is conservative, I used to use synthetic and run 50:1 but i see most guys on here run 40:1. I would use synthetic if you run 40 or 50 though. If you have any other questions, i'm sure the guy at the shop can help.

ttrman0

Apr 2, 2006
correct me if I am wrong
but the higher the ratio(ie. 40 or 50:1) the less oil in gas
not sure what happens one way or the other. if it's to rich or to lean both result in the same as bike will not run well.

FoxRocks

Apr 9, 2006
I run mine at 40:1 and it runs great. I just took my carb apart and found it to be stock (MJ,SJ,Clip,etc.) I replaced my main jet to a 172 as per my manual for my altitude and climate and it made a great difference. Generally it's between 14 and 25 degrees 'C' and I'm at 3000 feet asl.

My 2 Cents

~FOX~

caz

May 13, 2006
I'm running mine at 32:1 right now and am noticing a good amount of oil on the silencer. Should I up it to 40:1? Will that decrease the amount of oil it's putting out? After about 4-5 hours on it, it's got about a 3/4" strip of oil down the silencer. Bike runs absolutely great with no power issues at all and doesn't smoke anything abnormal either. It was jetted by the dealership I bought it from before I bought it. It still has stock pipe/silencer on it. For what it's worth, I'm at about 5k feet above sea level. Any thoughts on this?

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
I run my rm 125 02 at a 40:1 mix with a super unleaded fuel & an octane boost supplement. I also use a b9es plug with great results. I don't like the thin tipped plugs at all I get a weaker spark if I use them. I prefer the big tipped plugs less likely to foul & better sparking capability. If its good enough for a car its good enough for my bike. I also suffer no effect from the plug not being a resistor type. The cap is suppressed. I have a none suppressed cap but do I try it ???? maybe I shall

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
caz said:
I'm running mine at 32:1 right now and am noticing a good amount of oil on the silencer. Should I up it to 40:1? Will that decrease the amount of oil it's putting out? After about 4-5 hours on it, it's got about a 3/4" strip of oil down the silencer. Bike runs absolutely great with no power issues at all and doesn't smoke anything abnormal either. It was jetted by the dealership I bought it from before I bought it. It still has stock pipe/silencer on it. For what it's worth, I'm at about 5k feet above sea level. Any thoughts on this?

I would repack the silencer it will be oild up & while it is you wont get rid of that nasty oil coming out of it. 40:1 would be my choice less oil

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
adamant said:
I run my rm 125 02 at a 40:1 mix with a super unleaded fuel & an octane boost supplement. I also use a b9es plug with great results. I don't like the thin tipped plugs at all I get a weaker spark if I use them. I prefer the big tipped plugs less likely to foul & better sparking capability. If its good enough for a car its good enough for my bike.

To each his own, and I've seen plenty of reports of people using the cheap plugs with great success.

However, I'm sure I also saw a couple reports of people who had tips break off in the RM's, and the results in the cylinder are apparently not pretty.

I'm going to use the right plug. I haven't fouled one in 14 months, so that's not even an issue for me.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom