gstaten24

Jan 12, 2009
hi i am looking to get into riding dirtbikes. i am currently a very avid atv rider, i have rode atvs for 18 years. i have a banshee so i am looking to get a four stroke. i am 5'11" 180 lbs and very aggressive. i wont race it but i will mainly ride dunes and trails. i have no idea what to get as far as size or brand. any comments or help is greatly appreciated!!

gstaten24

Jan 12, 2009
well my price range will be around $3000 and i want a mx style and i dont really have a preference towards brand i just want a four stroke

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Why do you want a 4 stroke?

gstaten24

Jan 12, 2009
well the reason i want a four stroke is because i have a 2 stroke already and i am constantly working on it, also i dont want to have to constantly be changing the jets between going to the dunes and going to the trails around my house. although i recently saw a different forum saying that dirtbikes are different then atvs and that 2 strokes are actually more reliable then 4 strokes, if that is true then i would rather have a 2 stroke. the one thing i dont want is to have to replace parts on it all the time.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
1) 4-strokes are far more maint.
2) Answer these questions:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
2 strokes are a lot more reliable and they are cheaper to maintain and cheaper to buy. dont worry many people still think that 2 strokes are unreliable, but its not true.
I would look into getting a 250 2 stroke

Herrmanator8

Jan 15, 2009
I would definately look into buying a 2 stroke dirtbike. A newer one like my KX250 is all electronic and dont have to be adjusted like old bikes. Look at it this way, your gonna have to frequently replace parts on any bike youll ever own, they're not like cars. If you buy a two stroke, you will have to change a top end every two years if your not racing. If you buy a four stroke, it may last a little bit longer but when its time for rebuild, you could rebuild 3-4 two stroke engines for the cost of 1 four stroke rebuild. were looking at around $600-$800. The two strokes are alot simpler, you dont have to worry about engine oil, only transmission. they are lighter, stronger and the new ones are much smoother than many four strokes. but if you still prefer to buy a four stroke, buy a kawasaki four stroke.. they are much more reliable than any other top brand and they are dependable.

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
find you a good ol quadzilla, buy two carbs, jet one for trails and one for the dunes and be happy, wont take 10 minutes to change it out!!!!!!!!!!!! that thing will haul tail............. be happy!!! why are you constantly working on your two stroke????? i never have any probs with my cr 250.

gstaten24

Jan 12, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'10'' 180 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
i think at firt i will be consrvative bt when i gt used to the bike i will be very aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
dunes and dirt trails
4) Do you have any riding experience?
15 years of quads
5) Do you think you will race ?
most likely not
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
i will do all the work i have tools for
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
at this point i think i would rather hve a two stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
i have all the major dealers around
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
less than 3000
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

and to answer the question y am i always working on it...its a banshee lol they need constant maintenance. thanks for all the help from everbody!

gstaten24

Jan 12, 2009
no i dont want another quad, plus i already had a 450r and i didnt like it lol so i sold it and bought a banshee again lol

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom