Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I have the service manual and the 'Bible' of dirtbike tuning (E. Gorr's book) for my 1997 RM125. I ran on the same plug for about half a summer, a platnium BR9EVX which is what the bike came with. It gets hot around here... but we'll guess the avg tem was about 80 deg. It had been steadily cooling but the bike still ran great.

I fouled it when I left the choke on by accident and rode it. Then, I took a trip to higher altitudes and colder temps. The track was CRAZY muddy and after I dumped the bike a few times the plug fouled. Since then, it has kept fouling plugs. Coincidental? Or is it possible that the colder temps are helping? I moved up one heat range (8 non platnium) and currently am at 7 but that's a newer plug, I haven't read it yet but will today.

My question is, will I most likely be able to get by if I move the needle down one position? I'm never at WOT anyway, still learning.

And while we're at it, how does the choke work on this carb? It's a Keihin. PWK? I beleive.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
OK it wouldn't let me edit my post... so here goes. I also need to know why the service manual has you start with the pilot, then the main, then the needle and seat, then the main and then the plot again. It just doesn't make sense to me and doesn't explain why.

Also, can someone list more symptoms so I can tell which circuits to adjust?

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Thank you for you post, I've read that before and have also read eric gorr's book, and my service manual. I have a grasp of the technical side but what I don't have is an assortment of jets ETC. I guess I just need to get out there and experiment right?

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
damn, I apologice, canadian dave's artcile was great. Maybe it looked like another article I read or something. Thanks again.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
damn, I apologice, canadian dave's artcile was great. Maybe it looked like another article I read or something. Thanks again.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
OK and for anyone still reading.. I think I am fouling plugs now due to the rise in humidity. We had a drought here in the summer and we are getting more precipition as the cold weather approaches. However the service manual says that humidity can be pretty much disreguarded. Guess it's wrong.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/Beginners/BGNov98.html
http://www.ecmx.com/bike_tips/jetting.html

Try these,and with EG's book, and put it all together.

Top Bottom