New to the CRF and need assistance

ScottZX7RR

Sep 11, 1999
This weekend I had a race and there was a creek crossing. Well I was the unlucky fellow that found the chest high deep rut in the creek(shortly after I got stuck Tony closed that part of the course down and routed everyone around that area. The bike stalled due to the rut and fell over. I got it picked up very quickly and out of the water. Let it sit for about 15 minutes(the whole while losing valuable time, grrrrr) then I tipped it over and drained the carb of the fuel in the bowl. To no avail it wouldn't light and I was pulled out of the woods to my truck. Took it to the carwash and cleaned all the mud/muck off of her.

Monday I started the cleaning process. Took the tank off, drained it. Took the carb bowl off and clean it, the bottom was completely full of mud. Clean it out. Pulled the pilot and main out. they looked ok. Pulled the fuel mixture screw(or whatever they are called now) and replaced it with the Kuobo Screw that I got with the bike. Cleaned the airbox and runners out. Changed the oil as it was containmentated with water. It would not fire for the life of me. It would backfire and once in a while burp about 5 seconds. Well it was dark and I was tired so I quite.

Monday it appeared to be too wet(plug), so after doing some research here(because I think that my pilot is too rich to begin with, because of having to use the hotstart to light when riding normally) I turned the fuel metering screw to .5 of a turn. And turned the idle all the way down because I had bumped it up at the race because it was too low. Still no fire. And then the plug looked to be too dry then. So I tore apart the bike again and looked over the carb. One of the passage ways on the airbox side appeared to be clogged(the two down below the ventura) so I shot some carb cleaner down all the passages and intake to clean it all up. Still no fire. Dark again and stopped. Took the carb completely off the bike to clean in the morning.

Well I get the carb cleaned up completely. Take needle, all the jets out, clean all the holes, creaves and areas in the carb up. Put it back on the bike, shot a bit of strater fluid in the bike. And still no fire, a few backfires but nothing. I then check the valve clearances to see if any of those are out. The Intake(left side, near the shifter is .006 gap, and the right side, near the rear brake is .007) appears to be ok per the manual. The Exhaust(left side is .011/0{appears to be on the verge of .010 as the 11 fits extremely tight} and right side is .011) appears to be ok per the manual. I am at a loss of why the bike will not fire. I even put a very small amount of oil(less than a soda cap) in the cylinder to reseal the rings per a Honda Shop here in town.

Has a strong spark with a new spark plug on the bike. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
Drowned bike

When you took the bike out of the creek did you empty the exhaust completely before turning the bike over?
If not you probably had water in the cylinder and you may have bent a valve stem :ugg: :ugg:
Next time clear out the airbox and the piple. Then turn the bike upside down and take out the plug. Then crank motor slowly to empty the water out of the engine.
If you had water in the engine oil then you may also have created some rust in the cylinder. :ugg:

Next step......
You probably need to tear this puppy down. Check the valve stems and then check the piston for damage.

Sorry..........

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
I wouldn't hurt to pull apart your CDI and coil connections and dry them out. Even though you have strong spark when checking it, moisture in the connectors can cause some strange syptoms.

ScottZX7RR

Sep 11, 1999
Well I finally got her running. I did the push down the driveway a few times and she finally started. I let her run for about 30 minutes. And she was burping antifreeze. I am pretty sure that the pilot/air fuel screw is too rich. I have it 1.25 currently and will see what she does in the morning and adjust it accordingly. I was fortunate enough that I never got any water in the exhaust system. She was bone dry as I pulled the subframe and header off the bike to check. Only airbox and most likely the vent tube is where the containments came from.

Thanks for the suggestions.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: '...and replaced it with the Kuobo Screw that I got with the bike.'

Sorry for the off-topic question, but...........

This is a finger adjustable screw that replaces the stock common-slotted one?

Where can I get one? Google finds virtually nothing in english for 'kuoba' that isn't someone's name! ;(

Thanks!

B

biglou

I just ordered the Zip Ty racing one from Ty Davis' company. $19.95 plus shipping. Looks pretty trick, too. Anno red, with 1/4 increments marked. It is a knurled thumbwheel that hangs out of the opening. It fully replaces the stock pilot screw, it is just a longer, one-piece unit with the knob on the end for adjusting.

I don't have the url saved,but if you do a search for "zip ty racing", it will be at the top of the page, then look under "products".

Top Bottom