New top end advice?

maxchester

Nov 9, 2003
I've got an 01 Honda CR250, stock except for Boyesen Pro Series reeds (did a re-jet), with the stock pipe/silencer. My skill level is novice, and I'm about to put a new top-end in it. I hear horror stories about Weisco pistons because if you don't warm them up enough, they'll cold sieze. I warm mine up for about 2 minutes before I ride with my stocker. What piston/rings do you recommend? Thank you for your time in advance.

Mark Janzen
mjanzen@sbcglobal.net

braulsy

Jan 14, 2004
I USE Weisco IN EVERYTHING I OWN, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM JUST LET IT WARM FOR A FEW MINUTES

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
I'm a complete nebie to bike mechanics so take what I say with a grain of salt. I was talking to the guys at Yamaha of Troy about getting an aftermarket piston like the Weisco or similar. I was told by more then one person that the OEM was a better way to go for the average rider. The aftermarket pistons are a harder forged design and are less forgiving on the cylinder. It would make sense to me to let the piston take most of the abuse letting it scratch up over the cylinder wall which is less disirable to damage. Being the aftermarket pistons are harder more of the damage during normal run time would be transfered to the cylinder with a harder piston.
Again I could totally be wrong Ive only been doing the bike thing for a few years now, so please dont flame me, just correct me.
:)

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Ruffman, I agree to a point. I have seen oem pistons shatter (Honda). When they do, the last of the worries will be a cylinder. Sure, it is costly, but easy to repair/replace.

The lower end is more difficult for the average guy to deal with. I ran the weisco piston in my yz 250 HARD last year. It looks and measures like it is brand new, as does the cylinder. I have no reason to change to anything else.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…