Top end rebuild with no new parts?

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
:| I cant find a new piston or rings that are not stock from KTM. The piston is like three hundred dollars. Can I rebuild the top end when it comes time with the origanal parts or do I just need to sell the bike now? :bang:

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
No, no good. Called them and said they had nothing. Why is this such a hard part to find. I can find alot of other parts aftermarket but no pistons. Called the KTM dealer, $268. Can you repair a piston? Is it the piston or the rings that you change on a topend rebuild?

Last edited:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The whole reason to rebuild the top end is to replace piston and rings that have worn to near the service limit. Doing so reduces the risk of a big (and expensive) failure.

"Doing a top end" without changing the piston and rings is just doing an inspection.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
keefbikes said:
Can you repair a piston? Is it the piston or the rings that you change on a topend rebuild?

You may not need the piston. Take your piston and cylinder to the shop and have them measure and inspect them. If the piston is within spec and does not have too much time on it, you will only need to change the rings and gaskets. The shop should only charge a few dollars to check your piston and cylinder. Also, have them hone the cylinder.

Top Bottom