New top end break in

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hi,
This past saturday i installed a new piston, rings, wrist pin, rod bearings, circlips etc.. I lined the cylinder wall w/some redline oil, is it ok too do this?? Also, have ran the bike 4 times for about 5 minutes, letting it completely cool down in between, should i be good too go??
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I know Eric says the heat cycle is idle 10min, cool for 20 (or more), repeat for a total of three times. After this, ride for 20-30 minutes below 2/3 throttle. Using the redline oil should be okay.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
No, you did a bad thing by coating the cyn. with oil....you should only coat the rings with oil...by coating the cyn. with oil you may not get proper ring set which is part of proper break in, and with improper ring set you may get blow by eventhough the rings are new.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hmmmmm.. I think im gonna run w/it and see what happens.. The motor seems real "Snappy" so i'll see.. If need be, i can always change the rings.. Thanks for the info..
RIck

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Nectar, I have seen this information before. I am not doubting you, but have you ever seen an engine assembeled both ways?

I have not. I wonder though if it is true. After all, the two stroke has premix in it to run, right?

Do you think the problem is adding the EXTRA oil?

The most amazing thing I have done is was a cylinder after having it boored. I never bothered until recently. I cannot even describe the garbage that was in there.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Rcannon
The most amazing thing I have done is was a cylinder after having it boored. I never bothered until recently. I cannot even describe the garbage that was in there.

Everytime i bored a cyl, i went through a cleaning process, this time i just installed new piston, rings, wrist pin, bearing and circlips.. Anytime you bore, shoud definately wash it off..
RIck

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Whats done is done at this point, and if its running good...then that's great....When I was more inexp. I coated the cyn. with oil when I chged. rings, and later I read the correct way and why....Anyways, for kicks I would ck the compression and monitor.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…