New top end. Wont start...i need help...

lithium

Apr 10, 2005
Ok, to make a long story short, i have a new top end in my 1990 yz125 and now it just wont start.

It has compression
And it has spark...not a very good one..i replaced the spark plug...still not a very good one.

its getting gas.

i have no idea what could be wrong...first top end job ever.

Im thinking it could be CDi or electrical problems?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
what have you tried so far? can you bump start it? will it start on carb cleaner (not ideal but can be helpful in times of need)....how about a fresh plug?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Did you get coolant down in the bottom end when you pulled the head off to do it?

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Who did the top end? If it were you just back track your steps. Did you take the carb apart? Even though you say it's getting gas it could be in the carb. make sure the float is sealing properly and not flooding the crankcase. Make sure a piece of debris didn't get in one of the jets. Is the piston in correctly, intake port or cutaway at the rear (carb side). Sounds silly but I've seen that too. Generally the spark will remain ok and the only real way to check it is with a spark tester. Is the exhaust open, like someone else said -no rags stuffed in intake or exhaust. Check your work and you'll find the problem. Don't start repalcing electrical components just because. Good luck (where you at in MI?).

lithium

Apr 10, 2005
hmm...yes a bit of coolant was in the bottom of the crank...

would it really make a huge difference in starting? Because i asked about this before..and people just said to fire it up anyway...i cant get it to bump start..its just plain wont start. Im in Rockford MI...

I'll make sure i try all of your suggestions..i really appreciate it!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
if coolant got into the bottom end chances are that when you are trying to start it, coolant is soaking the plug which wont allow it to start. Pull the plug out, flip the bike upside down and put in gear and slowly rotate the tire and whatever coolant is in the bottom should come out of the plug hole, after that put a new plug in and try to start it again and see what happens.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…