chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
ok so im getting my hands on a 1996 WR250Z and the compression test was done in close to 0 celisus or freezing temp

it read 150psi at freezing temp

read 180psi after was warmed up

i saw the picture of it done cold, so i know the 150psi is true

should i be doing a top end based on this test?

i know it hasnt been done in 2 years but is that a good test for the temp??

thanx

Moto Man26

Aug 6, 2006
I would do a top end job on it anyways... Two years is kind of alot, and even though the compression is good, the piston may be fatigued... Doing a top end job isn't that costly... Always be safer than sorry.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
The compression test should be preformed on a warm engine for a couple of reasons. One is that the tolerances are more correct when at operating temp. The other is the rings are oiled and sealing better.

180 is a good number for a stock engine. Two years doesn't mean squat if the bike wasn't ridden for two years...

chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
im pretty sure it has a wiseco forged piston in it, and it has been ridden in the past 2 years, but not by somebody with alot of balls lol, it takes balls to ride big displacement hard, and alot of muscle, plus the powerband isnt at the end of the revv limit, so i will just keep my eye on the compression and check it before each ride

thanx for the help guys, cant wait for riding season!!!...DAMN YOU SNOW!!

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Snow, my brother just started the Iron Dog in Alaska at 11:38 today. If your not familiar it's a 2000 mile snow mobile race. He's number 17, they started in 2 minute intervals after the flag dropped at 11:00. I wish I was there :cool:

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
Snow, my brother just started the Iron Dog in Alaska at 11:38 today. If your not familiar it's a 2000 mile snow mobile race. He's number 17, they started in 2 minute intervals after the flag dropped at 11:00. I wish I was there

do you know what kind of sled hes riding?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
This year he's a factory rider with Ski-Doo on a Rev XP 600. He won the race in 2000 & 2002 on an Artic Cat and 2004 on a Ski-Doo. He was up until three this morning installing a new engine.

I've been tracking him with the on board GPS today. He has been running strong until just recently. He's planning a layover at McGrath. Based on the splits he was forth until the last check point but seems to be slowing, it's a long race.

If your into snow mobile racing his name is Dusty VanMeter. Were step brothers. I'm into MX and he's into snow, I would love to be his racing partner but he's to dam fast for me...

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
No current stuff. I have some footage on a Yamaha sled from a few years back. They filmed him flying through some whoops for their commercial.

I'm flying up to Anchorage Wednesday and staying until Saturday. They should wrap it up Saturday morning in Fairbanks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom