mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I have a 03 200 with most of the regular mods. My buddy just bought a 04 200, stock other than jetting. (both bikes are now well jetted)

I notice my shock is much softer. Is mine wore out, his not broken in, or a little of each?

Also his stocker seems to have better snap than my woods pipe bike. I assume it must be rebuild time.

Who seems to be the favorite trail suspension folk? May be time to delve into that area......

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
New shock and fork seals will be a little sticky until broke in. Also check for proper sag on the shock spring as well as compression / rebound settings. No two bikes are alike, that's for sure. Check also, any points that might cause friction. Mainly the pivot points on the rear linkage. Are his greased? Cause they sure do a poor job from the factory. For that matter are yours greased?

Unless you ride a whole bunch, don't keep your air filter clean, or have gummed up the KIPS, I would check the spark plug and pop in a fresh one. That is probably what the "snap" difference is. Could also be the difference in amout of tire life left, or heck, even air pressure. An over inflated tire will spin much quicker than a properly inflated one. How about your spark arrester? When's the last time that's been cleaned?
I really doubt you need to rebuild the top end in only a season. Keep us in touch with what you find out.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Linkage is greased, fresh plug, fairly good tire, clean filter, clean silencer. KIPS may be gooed up. I've never checked it, and I did run my bit too rich a while when I first owned it. How often do you go through it?

Lots of good points. Thanks.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I usually tear down the top end once a year and do the KIPS then. Not a rebuild, mind you, just an inspection. If you want to make a quick check, pull the pipe and shine a flashlight up there.
If your buddy is willing, ask him to swap shocks and see if it's that or not. If he's not willing, do it when he isn't looking and let him deal with a shot shock on a warranty. (That's a joke)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
skipro3 said:
If he's not willing, do it when he isn't looking and let him deal with a shot shock on a warranty. (That's a joke)

:laugh:

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
A woods piped KDX should be able to run circles around a stock piped one; at least that is what I have heard. Countless people have told me that by bolting on a pipe would improve the power substantially over stock output. By snap do you just mean off idle snap or over all snap? Do you run the same premix?

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Off idle blips. I run 40:1 motul. He actually still has what ever the dealer put in it. I may be a bit rich in the summer heat..........

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
mnnthbx said:
Off idle blips. I run 40:1 motul. He actually still has what ever the dealer put in it. I may be a bit rich in the summer heat..........

Interesting I would be courious if anyone else has noticed a loss of snap (off idle blips) with a woods pipe? I want a pipe on mine but I would hate to lose any snap off idle often that is all that I use on tight trials.

Maybe your right though you could be a bit rich??

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I'm gonna catch it for saying this, but................

I run the same jetting year round. Tiny bit of a lean bog in the snow and ice, spot on in fall and spring, spooge in summer.

As far as snap, I guess there auctually isn't a huge diff., I just feel it should be more lively with the mods.

Top Bottom