johnny-b

Feb 27, 2005
I could use some advice from all you experienced guys out there.

1) I'm 6'1" tall and 180 lbs
2) I'm not very agressive--my wild days are over.
3) Actaully I said slow bike because I'm starting to teach my 5-year old to ride a PW50. Mostly we'll ride trails and fields together. I dont have any problems with going fast, though.
4) I rode street bikes for 5 years or so. I also had a dual sport 650 which I used to take on logging roads--I didnt like it too much--I found it pretty unwieldy on anything slippery and too tall for highway riding.
5) No interest in racing or jumps
6) I have no problem with maintenance--I fix all my own stuff.
7) I've heard 4-stroke is the way to go.
8) There are plenty of dealers nearby
9) Cost is not a big factor, as long as I cant buy used and resell for a similar price. I'd buy new only if I had to.

Based on what I've heard from dealers, anything smaller than a ~230 or 250 is going to be physically too small. Power wise, I'm fine with a 125, but I've been told the frames are too small, even with the 125L models out there with the large tires. If I went with a 250, I doubt I'd ever go past 4th gear.

Ocassionally I will trail ride with other adults, but that's not my main thing.

I have a line on a used 2002 Honda XR250 for about $2000. It's in great shape. I also I have a line on a used 2001 Yamaha TTR225 for less. I dont have any leads on 125's, but would buy one new if I had to. I'd love to make a 125 work, but if it wont, then no problem.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The XR250 or XR400 would be good for the requirements you posted. The TT-R is a complete turd, underpower, overweight and undersuspended. When you reference 125's and L models I assume your talking about the 4 stroke TT-R and DR-Z lines, if so you're far too big for those bikes.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Kawasaki klx30/250...is far better suited. Slightly better fitting for a taller rider. Im just under 6ft and find the xr cramped our klx fits great with woods bend bars! Dirt bikes are a lot different than road bikes....you will get them past fourth gear. Id personally think the klx300 is twice the bike of an xr 250...tbm compares it to the xr400....oh and in the shootout....the klx beat the xr400 hands down even though it was 25% down on power it hooks up better, easier to ride, lighter, watercooled and a better bike for the beginner/intermediate rider. The xr has a better aftermarket following though!! You will be told the Honda is better as well its a Honda...ive owned both brands and honestly the klx is the way to go.It will give you far more confidence than the heavier xr. Let me know and if you have any more questions, just ask!!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Yeah they are hard enough to find but well worth waiting for.Great bikes.....far more motocross orientated than a xr. The frame is just a work of art for an older bike and the engine is great....watercooled and ahead of its time when it was introduced, its also quite well suspended!! I put on a complete kx frontend for cheap 150, no modification needed! They look and have the ability to look great to....you can put on an enduro front light and a mx rear fender...new graphics and if you can still get them a kx tank,scoops and seat! Seariously they are an amazing bike thats very easy to work on and great fun. Dont tell my fiance but id prefer to ride it in a snotty enduro or hareandhound anyday ahead of my TM.They just give you so much confidence.

johnny-b

Feb 27, 2005
Everyone--I appreciate the advice and knowledgeable opinions. Looks like I'm going to go for the XR250 as it's available now and I'm buying from someone I know. But I'll check out the KLX if I ever run across one. Thanks guys!!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
johnny-b said:
Everyone--I appreciate the advice and knowledgeable opinions. Looks like I'm going to go for the XR250 as it's available now and I'm buying from someone I know. But I'll check out the KLX if I ever run across one. Thanks guys!!

I don't think you will be disappointed. All the above bikes are good recommendations for what you are looking for. If you ever decide you want something more aggressive/faster you shouldn't have any trouble selling the XR. They tend to hold their value. Enjoy!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom