Newbie Question: Fresh Topend, Why the idle?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I just replaced my top end and the damn thing will idle after it's warmed up. It takes about 15 min. of hard riding and spooging for the foolish thing to cut out due to lack of fuel(hand off the throttle...As soon as I encounter a bogging engine I just start twisting). Last time I checked, chainsaws, lawnmowers, outboards and mo-peds where the only 2 strokes that idled. Do I have a problem or is this just the engine breaking in?

The mix is Motul, 32:1
Air/Fuel Screw: About as close to factory as I can get it.
Filter: Fresh No-Toil w/new oil.
Plug: BR8ES

Help?

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Well for starters it sounds like you are too rich. Another is that dirtbikes can idle, if you dont want it to than turn the idle screw in some. And cr25096er, can you please spell out words that are only 3 letters long :D lol

B

biglou

Irish-My kTm has an idle adjust screw. Should be on the left side, possibly pointing up at a 30 degree angle. When turned in, it physically raises the slide just as if you were twisting the throttle slightly. Mine has a small black knurled head on it so you can turn it by hand, and a slot for a screwdriver. You may have something similar. Just back it out a touch if you do. If you have a digital camera and can take a pic of the left side of the carb, I can take a look at it for you and mark up the picture and send it back.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Lou,
Sorry I didn't elaborate, but thats the fuel/air screw. My old Mikuni has a phillips screw with a set nut to hold it on the left side. It doesn't make for an easy one person adjustment. I just thought it was weird that the ole' ring dinger would run at almost 1/8th throttle after I pushed the choke in. Untill she was good and warm that is.

MoO,
As for the 32:1 I was breaking in that new piston and rings. To be on the safe side I ran about 50 miles or so with that mix. On Sunday I wen't back to 40:1. LOL, another reason for the spoogeing is it's a used bike that I picked up and just getting back into the sport. I am just now starting to run the pi$$ out of it :aj: . It's probably just clearing the pipe from where I babied it. :)

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Steve,
Check your math here a sec. We are talking ratio's here. The first # is the percent that is diluted and the second is the ammount, in this case 1 gallon. The closer the ratio gets to 1:1 the richer it gets. Ergo: if I did that my mix would be 1 quart Motul per 1 gallon of fuel, I don't want to replace that many plugs or get the EPA on me for running the Exxon Valdez in the woods.
LOL....My math isn't that great either that's why I trust my handy dandy mix master beaker. where 40:1 is definatly lower than 32:1. Hell I was scratchin' my head for about 20 seconds trying to figure how much oil to put in my case when I changed it. Hmmmm 950cm cubed, how the hell do I convert that? Then it hit me like a ton of bricks volume! a cm cubed is a cc. I felt like an idiot for all of one second and then just put a quart of oil in.

B

biglou

Originally posted by IrishEKU
Then it hit me like a ton of bricks volume! a cm cubed is a cc. I felt like an idiot for all of one second and then just put a quart of oil in.
And one cc of water weighs one gram. :) (Just a little trivia for ya!)

BTW-The less premix, the richer the mixture. 40:1 is richer than 32:1.
(Someone tell me if I got that mixed up!)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by BigLou
BTW-The less premix, the richer the mixture. 40:1 is richer than 32:1.
(Someone tell me if I got that mixed up!) [/B]

In concerns to fuel it is richer.

I may be wrong here and may need Rich to come over here to slap my knuckles with a ruler but I learned it like this:
Ratio's, are one part of something to one, for our purposes we use the gallon. Now for mix purposes I use 1/40th to one gallon. IE 40:1. Now 1/40th is a smaller peice of the pie than say 1/32nd correct?

Lou! Put that pie down! :) :) :)

It can be confusing because there isn't the conveniant(sp) fraction symbol there. Hence the want to call 40:1 richer than 32:1.

B

biglou

OK, my head officially hurts! I thought that the more fuel that passed through the jet, the richer things were? As in, the more fuel in the mix (higher ratio), the richer...

Time for some of that there fancy book learnin', I guess.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Sorry about that Lou(Passing the Tylenol). I was talking about the initial mix of fuel and oil. Now you bring up jetting and now I have to pull out the manual and deal with altitude and temp. Just kidding. :) :) :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by KSHAFFER
32:1 IS RICHER THAN 40:1 !!!!
This is an old debate but here it is and as simple as I can put it. Richer or leaner concerns the amount of gas in a mixture. If you take 40:1 replace some of the gas with oil and bring it to 32:1, you have less gas in that mixture, therefore a leaner mixture. If you put less oil in and say go to 50:1 there is more gas in the mix, hence that is a richer mixture.

Rich and lean have to do with gas not oil. That is the general concensus that I have gotten from the boards here on DRN.

MikeT

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
No Cannoli, he grabbed the PIE! Lou the Pie Burgler!
Lou the PB!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you Lou!!!!!!!!! That was my last peice of 40:1 Cheese Cake!!!!!!!!!! Ewwww you evil person!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom