soontobe

Sep 24, 2007
All-

First of all, GREAT forum. I have been "lurking" for a while and there is a wealth of knowledge on here. I'm 26 years old and have pretty much grown up riding motorcycles. I started riding dirt bikes at 8 years old and did so through High school. It has been about 8 yrs since I have ridden a dirt bike but with my son getting older he wants to start riding. I wanted to get everyone's advice on what bike I should get.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'1" 220 lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'm pretty aggressive, but have toned it down a bit since having kids :-)
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Probably a little of everything (MX, trails, Sand dunes, etc...)
4) Do you have any riding experience?
10 years experience on dirt bikes (it has been 8 years since I have ridden dirt). Street for 10+ years (I currently own a 2004 CBR 1000RR and ride it often)
5) Do you think you will race ?
Not competitively
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I do all the work/maintenance on my street bike and will do the same with my dirt bike.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I definately lean towards Honda's but am not set on getting a Honda if I should be looking elsewhere. I will definitely be getting a 4 stroke as it will be best for my application (besides, that is what I have all my experience on)
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes. All brands
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
I'm going to definitely buy used and would like to keep it under $3K
10) Do you live in California?
No
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
With the research I have done I'm leaning toward a Honda CRF450. I definitely want to get an open class bike as I'm not the smallest guy in the world and I don't want to be lacking in the "power" area.

Any guidance and/or opinions is greatly appreciated.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
haha I ride a yamaha and I would suggest a 2 stroke 250 for you. But I have riddent a CRF 450. I weigh about 195 and I am 6'1". I LOVE THE CRF 450, It's a beautiful bike so if you want a four stroke I think a honda is your best bet. I would also look at the Yamaha YZ450F. Otherwise Enjoy my friend. You have all the experience you need.

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
Yeah, 10 years mean a lot of experiance, you don't need CRF450's power on track but it can be very enjoyable in trails and can be very handy in especially sand dunes(where you need a lot of torque) CRF450X will be pretty good for you. Maybe you can take a look at KTM 450 EXC too if you want to ride more in trails than on the track..

199kx60

Sep 24, 2007
well if you do plan on getting a YZ450F my buddie has one and plans on selling it for about 3300...now dont get me wrong im not trying to advertise here but based on what you gave us i think that it would be a good bike for you on the track or in the trail. a yz450f is great in trails thats where he rides it

Top Bottom