Newbie To KDX and Pipe Question not what you think

mmersol

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2003
Greetings all, I have been a thumper for a while. I rode a few friends 2-strokes and forgot how much I like them. A couple weeks later, here I am. I have a 2001 KDX220. Just rode it around the back yard a few times, but I am already loving the weight diff.

Anyway, I have been out of 2-strokes for a LONG time. This bike has the FMF Gnarly pipe and fmf silencer. To be honest, I dont need extra power, I like the exhaust to be quieter. I don't have the factory pipe and silencer, but they seem to on ebay frequently. I noticed that FMF sells a Q silencer. Will that quiet down the gnarly pipe, or do BOTH pieces need to be of the quiet variety. I noticed that alot of the noise seems to be coming from the expansion chamber but was not sure if a Q silencer would take care of that. GREAT site you have here and a THANKS to canandian dave for putting so much info in one spot.

--marc

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
I had to send my FMF Gnarly pipe off to have a dent taken out, so I put my factory pipe back on temporarily. I am running a PC "factory sound" silencer. The factory pipe is quieter, even with an aftermarket silencer, but I don't think it is enough to really matter. Less "pinging" sounds, but my power was smoother with the FMF. Maybe you should look into getting a factory silencer and leaving the FMF in place. Mine ran great that way before I went to the PC, mostly for weight reduction.
Full factory is the most quiet, but also the heaviest.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I've not tried the "Q" but have heard that it's really Quiet. The stock silencer/arrester is super quiet with almost no power loss. The FMF is much louder than the stockl pipe because it's single walled. This is easy to remedy--just get several different sized inner tubes and cut them into sections 2-3-4 " long. take the pipe off of the bike, lube the innertube sections with detergent solution and force them onto the pipe from both ends -overlapping each section about 1/2". Most of the noise comes from the fat midsection. You can run the covering down the headpipe portion quite a ways. If you go too far it will just "burn" off and smell really bad for a few hours. This will now be on par with the stock pipe for low dbs and the rubber protects the pipe from smaller hits. Clean the new rubber with armor-all and it looks really cool!

mmersol

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2003
wow thats a really neat trick. I would have thought that the expansion chamber would get so hot it would melt the rubber off. Anyone else try this trick??

--marc

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Being an old man and already having lost enough hearing to sucessfully claim to not hear the wife, I wear earplugs. I will give you my old pipe and silencer for the cost of postage if you want them. They are from a KDX220 as well and other than scratches, in great shape. I can't throw them away because they are perfectly good, but I will never use them again either. Just taking up space in an already crowded garage.

mmersol

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2003
Yes, I would like them. If you have a paypal account, I will pay you today. If not shoot me a pm with your address and I will drop a check in the mail today for the postage plus some extra for the time and hassle of getting it shipped.

Thanks!!!

--marc

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Marc,
You need to pay to send and receive PM's. Sign up for full membership, or e-mail me at jheitman@jps.net with your zipcode. I will box up and get a shipping charge back to you. Your support for this forum by becoming a paying member is enough compensation for my time and hassle.

mmersol

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2003
Done! Just paid with paypal, although it said 24 hours to update my status.

My email address is mmersol@lvcm.com

My zipcode is 89123 (las Vegas)

Thanks!!!!

--marc

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by skipro3
Your support for this forum by becoming a paying member is enough compensation for my time and hassle.
How cool is that? :worship:

:thumb:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'll trade you a stock spark arrestor for the fmf one? maybe even some cash.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…