newbie with kdx 200 probs(long post sorry)

homersipes

Apr 13, 2009
I bought a 1988 kdx 200 3 years ago had very weak compression but I didnt care lol, rode it for 20 mins and she blew up on me. had the cylinder renikasiled and new piston and so on rebuilt the topend. Got it all together, started it ran great, til it got warmed up. After it is warm it idles really high then back down and high an so on, my friend says its unsafe but I have gotten used to it, been riding it like this for 2 years now. was told to take a propane torch and use the propane around the stator so I did and nothing happend nothing around the base gasket or the carb boot(obviously had to do it before it got warm) pulled the exhaust pipe off the other day and the piston looks new no scores or discoloration. therefore I dont think the crank seals are bad because it would run lean right??????? I dont know a lot about 2strokes. ummmm any advise???? cdi, coil,??????? :bang: :bang: :bang:

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Sounds like you've got an air leak somewhere. As for how to fix it, someone else could answer that better than I can (leak down test maybe?).

podfish

May 14, 2007
you can spray starting fluid around the manifold while it idles - that may tip you off if there's a leak there

digifox

May 25, 2006
podfish said:
you can spray starting fluid around the manifold while it idles - that may tip you off if there's a leak there
Seconded :cool:

Airleaks are a PITA to find :bang:

homersipes

Apr 13, 2009
wouldnt 2 years of running with bad crank seals have scored the cylinder???? I guess I will have to bite the bullet and rebuild the damn thing lol. thanks for the help guys

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…