No Big Twins for Dakar Rally In '05

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Not sure if this is the right forum, but this is copied from: http://www.motorcycledaily.com

No Big Twins for Dakar Rally In '05
By Alex Edge

Dakar rally sanctioning body ASO (which incidentally also organizes the Tour de France and many other bicycle events in Europe) has released the rules for the '05 Dakar rally, and the motorcycle section contains something of a shocker. Open-class, twin-cylinder motorcycles (like the 950cc KTM V-Twins which dominated the motorcycle class last year) are banned for 2005. In fact, the rules disallow any twin-cylinder motorcycle displacing over 450cc. The premier motorcycle classes will now consist of the Open class singles (like the KTM 660) and the new 450cc single class.

This surprising decision could mean a lot for the future of Dakar. Obviously, the organizers felt that the Open class was becoming a "one-make" race, as no manufacturer seemed inclined to step up with a bike that could seriously challenge the KTM 950 V-Twins. If you read yesterday's article, you will see that KTM is attempting to draw American attention to the Dakar by training and supporting a "Team USA"-type effort in 2005. By aligning their racing classes more closely with those of American off-road racing, perhaps the ASO can attract more attention from American off-road racing superstars. And if the American stars come, the major Japanese manufacturers come with them.

So could this decision start a boom in participation in the Dakar's motorcycle classes? All the Japanese manufacturers should have 450cc four-stroke MX bikes available by next year, and Honda also has the XR650 (already the most dominant bike in American desert racing in the hands of Johnny Cambell and Steve Hengeveld), which could perhaps challenge KTM's 660 in the Open class. Whether the Big Four will bite remains to be seen, but this seems like a smart move by the ASO. Incidentally, KTM did not oppose these rule changes.

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
I would think the up keep and R & D for the 950 is high and
KTM doesnt realy mind due to not even the honda 650 can hold a candle to any of the thumper models. Also the riders
from over there are just to much for any of our guys, dont get me wrong I hope our guys step up to there level.

solecritter

May 26, 2004
Ummmm.....makes ya wonder how well the Yamaha 2-trac 450 will go now????....it finished in the top ten last time....only the big KTM 950's were able to do betta. If some of the stages get more shorter and more technical, it should make it more competitive between all the manfacturers.

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
Bandit9 said:
Wheeewww! I thought you were talking about those Coors Light Twins. I am glad they will still be there next year!

We where, what do you think where talking about now! :yeehaw: :eek:

PS; KTM isworking on a 2wd bike, i here.

Top Bottom