Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Nice write up. I look forward to Brian's long term review before I go out and buy one. I'd like to know if the oil volume that the pump delivers stays consistant over time.

Staying tuned....:)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by RM_guy
I'd like to know if the oil volume that the pump delivers stays consistant over time.

Given the high quality of the basic pump and the fact that it is consistently lubed by virtue of passing clean oil through it, I would expect it to stay consistent for a good long time.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I don't think it is that much of a big deal,Pouring oil into a ratio cup.I wouldn't buy it .I would think pouring is better than pumping.Not that big of a deal

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Clearly it's not a product designed for everyone. I think it certainly has merit for those folks who use a lot of oil and buy it in gallon bulk containers.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I buy oil by the half gallon and see a huge benifit to this. There's always oil left in my RatioRite and it collects dirt. It's sounds like it's so much easier to use.

cyclers10

Oct 19, 2000
I use a saran wrap cover , the ones that fit on many differnt size cups or bowls, small size , keeps all dirt out, and easy on and off, later c10

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I guess saying that dirt gets inside my RatioRite is my way of saying I want buy this trick little pump and I need any excuse, no matter how lame it is ;)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Very cool product. I too can see the use for it in high volume applications.

I still like to stand at the workbench pouring oil into the can, rinsing the ratio rite cup with gas, having an evil laugh and hollering for Igor to fetch me some more Frankensolution. I am rather bored at home on week nights.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Originally posted by MX-727
Maxima's ratio cup has a screw-on metal lid. No dirt inside, ever.
That's exactly why I went with the Maxima ratio cup instead of the ratio rite.

RM_guy, any excuse is a good excuse. ;)

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I've had my Ratio Rite for over 2 years now and wouldn't want to use nothing but it! Of course I got the lid for it so no debris comes in it. And for the left over oil that doesn't come out of it when pouring into the gas can I just fill the ratio with about a 1/2 cup of the gas and circulate it in the Ratio Rite and pour it back into the gas can. works great for me but out of fun I'd like to try the pump for a change..but the only problem I see if what if you accidently forget to pump it one time or over pump it one time? That wouldn't happen with a Ratio Rite... :confused: :)

Last edited:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
RM-Guy, I know this isn't gonna change your decision, but to get rid of the oil left in your Ratio Rite, just pour some gas into the cup and swoosh it around. That willl dissolve the oil, and you can just pour it into the gas can. This ensures you are using the right amount of oil because if there's some left in the cup you arent getting all the oil you pour into the cup.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by Durt Cycler
And for the left over oil that doesn't come out of it when pouring into the gas can I just fill the ratio with about a 1/2 cup of the gas and circulate it in the Ratio Rite and pour it back into the gas can.
Ditto.

Hell, sometimes I even put dirt into my ratio cup just so that the left over oil doesn't make a mess. Of course thats only if I don't have a shop rag.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by MX-727
Maxima's ratio cup has a screw-on metal lid. No dirt inside, ever.

Yeah, but has yours held it's shape? After leaving the cap screwed on tight at high altitude & driving back down to sea level, the container went all concave & kept that shape. I had to toss it because I knew it wouldn't measure the indicated amount after that. :whiner:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I think it's a pretty neat product. I wouldn't mind having one but I would probably pump it into my ratio rite to make sure I was pumping the right amount of oil until I was confident about it. ;) To me, it doesn't get any more simple than a ratio rite but I only mix a couple gallons at a time.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by 2001yz250
I think it's a pretty neat product. I wouldn't mind having one but I would probably pump it into my ratio rite to make sure I was pumping the right amount of oil until I was confident about it.

That's why we have BSwift doing a long term eval of the product. It was dead accurate for my testing even when I tried to screw it up, but we wanted to find out how well it works over the long haul under normal week to week use.

Stay Tuned. :thumb:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by RoosteR13
Very cool product. I too can see the use for it in high volume applications.

I still like to stand at the workbench pouring oil into the can, rinsing the ratio rite cup with gas, having an evil laugh and hollering for Igor to fetch me some more Frankensolution. I am rather bored at home on week nights.

:eek:

:) I couldn't belive it when I read that. Reminds me of the times when we would be prepping bikes and mixing fuel for the morning. Matt! get me another adult beverage! :thumb:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

That's why we have BSwift doing a long term eval of the product. It was dead accurate for my testing even when I tried to screw it up, but we wanted to find out how well it works over the long haul under normal week to week use.

Stay Tuned. :thumb:
You should have given it to Billy for the "real test" to see if it can be screwed up ;)

I use myine at work to pump a solution from a gallon container and it works fine.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
looks very easy, and for only 20 bucks. I buy gallons by the case I also use the same oil in my watercraft (Torco GP7) and they use up plenty of fuel and oil.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My early report is the RiteMix fits the bill.  I have just transitioned from the motorcycle/weedeater season to the motorcycle/chainsaw season. :p   What I like is the simplicity.  40:1 in the KX, 32:1 in the weedwacher, and 50:1 in the chainsaw.  I am able to mix a 1/2 gallon at a time and be on the money.  Since I bought the YZ450F, having to keep track of "which can has what gas" isn't nearly as difficult as you would think.  I buy 10 gallons of fuel all 89 octane.  I buy 5 gallons of race gas, 110 octane.  I use a small 1 gallon gas can for the weedwhacker/chainsaw.  I only mix a 1/2 gallon at a time in a 1 gallon can(always has premix).  If I use more than that in a day, I'm working way, WAY to hard.  I take a distinctly different 5 gallon gas can and mix 89 octane and 110 octane 50:50.  This is my motorcycle gas.  If I need fuel in the YZ, just pour it in.  If I need fuel for the KX, I'll use a 2 gallon can, pump the RiteMix 4 times with the 40:1 setting and shake(not stirred).  Pour it in and I'm ready.  Buying oil in bulk, not having a messy cup, and using the same oil for all my two strokes is much easier.  I still have some small containers on the shelf(left over since I got the RiteMIX).  
Neilsen Pumps came to DW02 at Cooperland without much of clue what DRN was about.  I think they left having learned a lot about a market they had yet to tap.  Besides, the dollars you save by buying in bulk containers will offset the cost of the pump in a short time.   

Top Bottom