No more KDXin' for me.. YZ250 time!

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Hey guys,
Just thought I'd share the good news.. I'll be racing a YZ250 next season in the national Hare Scramble and Enduro series up here in Canada. I did pretty well on my KDX, 5th in the intermediate Hare Scramble Series, and 1st overall (intermediate 300 class) for the Enduro's. Hopefully with my new bike, and new sponsor, Machine Racing, I'll be able to rack up some Expert level results.

Can't wait for the snow to melt!

Jon!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Congrats on the new ride and sponsor!

I wish some of the networks would broadcast at least part of the Hare Scramble and Enduro series. I've really been enjoying the Canadian outdoor MX series. Awesome racing and tracks!

Curious though, why the switch from KDX to YZ? Post your impressions/pros/cons of racing the KDX vs. the YZ.

Thanks...

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Not much low end in those mx'ers though. If you get tripped up on a root while climbing a steep hill and let off the throttle, you're screwed!!! If you downshift to get back on the powerband, you'll likely flip over!!! My old '99 KLX 300 was actually awesome for climbing slow bumpy hills. So much low end you could practically stall and just hit the throttle again and keep luggin'. Top end power was horrible of course!!! I figure my '03 KDX 220 with the Rev pipe is a nice middle ground!!!

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
You're gonna LOVE that YZ!! NICE bike! I rode a buddy's last fall, and it's got the stuff to be good. After you get it dialed, you're going to look back and wonder WHAT in the heck were you ever doing on that KDX??!

I had a very well set up KDX220, and I went instantly faster aboard a 01 RM250.

One thing you'll note, is that the 250 motobikes aren't for just everybody, but it sounds like you've got the riding skills to apply the extra abilities of the YZ.

Good luck racing!!

BTW, Tom.... You must have never ridden a current 250MX bike. The new crop of 250's have more low end power than a KDX could dream of. Top end, there is absolutely no comparison, let alone compare to the 250's handling in the fast pace snarley stuff. How can plenty of power be "horrible", unless you're going REALLY slow?

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
B.J., You have a good point! Now that you mention it, the last 250 mx'er I rode was I think a mid-90's CR250. It might not have had the power valve sytem for the extra low end. The top end was killer though. The thing wheelied like crazy. Believe me, I have nothing against mx'ers. I just didn't know the new ones had good low end power. The thing I love most about the KDX is the really low 1st gear and 6 gears to pick from. That's just me though. To each his own!!! As long as everyone has fun, that's all it's about, right!!!?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Tom Ludolff
Not much low end in those mx'ers though.

I rode a friend's YZ250 last fall. More power everywhere than any KDX on Earth. Incredible motor! Very electric but still fast. You can lug it or scream the heck out of it with no complaints.

It's the only bike I have ridden in recent memory that handled as good (or maybe better) than my YZ250F!

BTW, I am strictly a woods rider! Once in a while, I will jump from my YZF to my son's '00 KDX and it's pretty scary. That KDX doesn't steer worth a hoot compared to the Yamaha, mainly due to the fork flex.

You are going to love the YZ! :)

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Thanks for the kind words guys.. I can't wait for the ground to thaw and try flying the new YZ through the air, and the woods too.

I chose the YZ because I was riding on mx practice tracks about 50% of the time I was riding. The rest of the time was either racing HS's or Enduro's and some woods riding. The YZ will just suit my riding style much better.. And I won't be pushing the bike to it's limit all the time anymore. Check me out on my KDX : http://server905.gisol.com/~digby/phpbb/album_view.php?id=27

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting the YZ street plated, and ready for some Enduro's.. It'll be some work, but it'll be worth it once I'm done. I'll appreciate the preciseness for sure, as well as the extra grunt. I wont' like the gas mileage, that's for sure. A Clarke tank is in my future.

Jon!

HOTRODKY428

Oct 24, 2002
CONGRATS ON THE NEW RIDE. MY NEPHEW JUST PURCHESED A 98 RM 250.THE BIKE FEELS GOOD,SOUNDS GOOD,AND HITS HARD. BUT WE HAD SNOW COVERED GROUND,AND IT WAS USLESS. SO WE TO ARE WAITING GOOD WEATHER....SO GOOD LUCK ROB

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I'm switching from a CR250 to a KDX. If you run out of top end (or gas), go up one tooth on the front sprocket. It's a cheap way to get the 250 MXer to pull longer in each gear and add about 10 mph of top end. It will still have plenty of low end if you're under 200 lbs. GOOD LUCK!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom