Noise/knock at idle?

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

I noticed a weird noise coming from my 2000 200. At idle, or very, very low revs, there's a knock/slapping type noise coming from the bike. This noise goes away at even moderate throttle. The bike had single-digit hours on it when I bought it, and I've maybe put an hour on it since then.
It was making this noise when I purchased it, with the (no doubt old) previous fuel oil mix and 9 series plug. I used Amoco 91 pump gas, Motul 800 @ 40:1, and a fresh NGK 8 series plug. The noise is still there. I've already looked for rattling pipe, springs, radiators, etc.
Is this the KIPS hardware? I can't imagine a bike with as few hours as this one (that was ridden so gently by the previous owner) having a busted piston or anything. Ideas?

Brandon
bmonnig@yahoo.com

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
It is normal. My 200 seems to be more pronounced than my 220, but they both "knock" and have from day one. You can lesson this by adding a little more oil to you tranny. I use an entire quart. Type tranny oil and amount will differ from person to person.
Lew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Standard equipment on kawis, it seems, and lew is right about the oil.

I use a bit (100ml or so) of a quart to flush out some of the junk after the oil has drained, put the plug back in and add the remaining (say 850ml or so).

Some say they can hear their KIPS snap open...I can't say that at 6000rpm I can hear much of anything except exhaust noise. At idle, though the KIPS isn't making noise...indeed should be held somewhat stable due to detents on gears held in place with springs and such.

Curious...know why it had a 9 plug in it? The oem 8 is plenty cold enough. I can't imagine a 9 would even work (for more than a bit)!!

The kdx is a hardy, hearty machine. While the 220 piston is a known weak spot, the 200 isn't. Unless it's been really abused, you don't have anything to worry about.

Take a look a CDave's site:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

..for info/tips on new bike care. Things need to be greased, for starters. Ignore them and I guarantee you'll be replacing suspension components in a short while.

Have fun!!

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Thanks guys! "It's normal" is sure what I wanted to hear! :)

As far as the plug...I don't really know why the 9 was in there. I thought I remembered the 8 being stock, so when I bought plugs I bought 2 8's and 2 9's. I'll probably take the 9's back and trade them out for 8's.

I used Castrol 4x4 "heavy duty" ATF in the tranny. I've filled it to just below the "high" marker on the case. Should I fill it above that line to reduce the noise? I don't want to get into foaming/improper oiling issues...I'm ok with the noise as long as nothing's going to blow up. :eek:

And the "JustKDX" site is how I ended up here. This site, JustKDX and DirtRider.net have been my main hangouts lately. I'm trying to learn all I can about these weird ol' 2 strokes. ;) I'm just running out of things to do to the bike while I wait for my wrist to heal! It's not fair to pick up a new bike when you can't ride it! :|

Brandon

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…