JIML

~SPONSOR~
Feb 1, 2002
I recently installed some Race Tech 42kg. springs in my 2001 kdx 220 and it sounds like they are hitting the sides of the forks as I push down on them. both on the bike and off. I'm sure I've done everything right,I followed the shop manual. My stock springs were very quiet. I set the preload at 10mm. , oil level at 100mm. with bel-ray 5w fork oil. I even tried using the stock spacers as the new springs were only 5mm. longer than stock. They feel pretty smooth but don't sound it. I called race tech and they were'nt any help and acted as if I was bothering them. Are these just cheap springs or what?

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
Well me and my bro just installed two sets of .42 springs in a 98 kdx220 and an 01 kdx200. We used Mobil one ATF. The results are amazing. We do not have any kind of rubbing. I think the quality of the springs are excellent from MX-Tech. I just put mine in last weekend.

JIML

~SPONSOR~
Feb 1, 2002
MassKDX,

Did you use the stock spacers or cut new ones? What did you set your preload at,and what oil level. Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to figure out if I've missed something or if it's the springs themselves.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
i just installed .46's in mine theyre makin the same noise,completely normal.nothing to worry about

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Mine do the same thing. I used a Dewalt chop saw to cut the factory spacers down to size. Keep in mind....this saw had a finish cut wood blade on it. Notice I said had. The first spacer cut real easy but the blade was toast by the second one and the cut wasn't that even. I leveled it out as best I could but figured the sound was coming from a crooked spacer. I'm going to take them apart and use plastic spacers cause I can easily get a perfect cut on them. I'll report back when finished.

flyinfish

Apr 27, 2001
Mee too!

Same thing happened to me on one side only. 20 minutes into my first ride the sound went away and hasn't returned! Mine were USD forks on a '91 KDX 250 though. Hope your's resolves itself!

Fish

knobbytracks

Oct 29, 2001
To give the springs support without affecting travel, use the appropriate size of shrink wrap tubing used for electrical wiring. This will keep the spring from bowing during compression, therefore, rubbing the inside if the stanction tubes. I've used this trick on mtn. bike suspension forks to prevent them from squeeking.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom