[Non-Moto Photog] Trying-out the 10-20mm

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Rich's excellent shots of Chicago with the Sigma 10-20 had me lusting for a Ultra Wide lens. Got it yesterday, decided to give it a trial run this morning. I'm still not decided if I'm keeping this one or exchanging it for a Canon 17-40 L. UWA is definatley a challenge! You really need to watch your angles, or you get the crazy distortions. Here are couple test shots.

This is a church in Carrollton TX that I like to try new lenses on, it the closest building I know of that has some interesting lines and textures.

First one.. the distortion I mentioned. Compare it to number 2, which was shot just a couple feet to the left.

1. Light fall-off? Maybe I'm not using that term the right way, but this lens REALLY shows where the light is coming from... the sky is so much whiter on the sun side. Shooting with the sun at your back is vital.
church5.jpg

church4.jpg

3. More distortion
church2.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I must just be a goof but I think those pics look great. Used correctly I think the barrel distortion is a really cool effect that you can really have some fun with, especially at 106 degree view angle.

From my viewpoint the first picture looks like it was taken by an Art teacher, the second one looks like it was taken by a Math teacher or maybe a draftsman. :whoa: Both are good pictures but only the first one makes me look at it for more than a second.

I like the sky effect as well, but like I said it's probably because I'm just a goof, ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
... no doubt, there's a lot more to watch for when shooting UWA.

YEP, I find myself falling into the trap of "overdoing" the wide angle all the time. The pictures where I step back, take some time and try to decide exactly what story I want to tell with the picture tend to be the my keepers. The rest tend to be CRAP :whoa: , but hopefully you guys will never see those. :p

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
For sure, this is a SHARP lens! Might have to go to one of the local Drive-In (Sonic) car show nights and see what I can get :) This is a pic of Dylan's favorite ride.
fp_truck.jpg

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D
Image Date: 2006:07:21 11:20:11
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 10.0mm
CCD Width: 3.42mm
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
You're killing me! Rich mentioned this lens to me a week or two ago and I've got all the info written down for when it's time to pull the trigger! Looks very crisp.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
For sure, this is a SHARP lens! Might have to go to one of the local Drive-In (Sonic) car show nights and see what I can get

Do it, those are great venues to practice at and have some fun in the process.

I went to the Ton Up - Mods vs Rockers vintage motorcycle show a few weeks ago and only wanted to take one lens. After waffling back and forth for a while I went with my 17-200 VR lens. While looking at the pics I took afterwards I realized how many great opportunities I missed because I didn't bring the wide angle lens. :bang: Lesson learned, I'll never make that mistake again.

Here's the pics if anyone would like to see them. Lots of cool bikes and some interesting people watching, but I didn't get any really GREAT pictures, but with the wide angle lens I think I could have. :think:

http://www.four-stroke.com/images/TonUp_06/Web_page_files/

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks, but in your mind's eye I know you can envision how great that pic could be standing up close to the pair of old rods and filling the frame with a wide angle view.

This shot below is the one where it really dawned on me that I screwed the pooch with my lens choice. This COULD have been a really great angle for a picture, and it could have captured the real "feel " of the event, but it missed the mark. Oh well, I'll be better prepared for next year. ;)

Attachments

• dsc_0734_drn.jpg
    dsc_0734_drn.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Top Bottom