H-Minus

Dec 5, 2010
Hey guys, Looking for winter adrenaline rush, so looking for a dirt bike. I have been racing street bikes for years and really have been wanting to get into dirt and supermoto. Trying to trade a 05 GSXR 600 for a dirt bike. Have a couple offers from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. Would like your opinion on it...

This is the 4 stroke... "2008 YZ450. Very clean bike. Fast and reliable. Has lots of life left on Michelin Starcross tires. Well maitnained. Oil is changed after every 2-3 hours of riding time. Used to ride on MX track but recently have set the bike up for more trail riding/harescrambles. It would be a good bike for any type of riding/racing. Have a new baby and I'm getting tired of looking at the bike sitting in the garage. Email me if you have any questions. Any reasonable offer will be considered****Also: I would consider trading for a 2004 or better Suzuki SV650 or any 600cc track bike.

Upgrades Include:
No toil air filter O-ring chain Full Dubach (Dr. D) exhaust Acerbis plastic & bark busters after market chain adjusters
**REKLUSE ez-start pro clutch ($700.00 retail)-Still have stock clutch which will also go with the bike."

and a couple two strokes. One...
... a 97 and here is the info...
(I have a 97 rmx 250 2 stroke. Wicked fast bored .40 over weisco piston, bigger carb, full pro circuit exhaust, new plastic/decals, etc. Everything rebuilt 2 months ago)

What do you guys think...

Devin

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I have mixed feelings about a Rekluse clutch for a beginner. In the hands of an experienced rider they can be awesome but they can get a beginner into trouble real easy.

I had been thinking that I would like one until I had the opportunity to ride a bike with a Rekluse a few weeks ago. I had a few scary moments and quite a few annoyances.

1) Finding neutral: I typically rock the bike back and forth to make sure I am in neutral before I try to start. It doesn't have to be in neutral, but it makes it a lot easier. It was not so easy to find neutral with the Rekluse

2) Keeping the bike from dying at idle: Don't tap the throttle to keep it from dying unless you are absolutely sure it is in neutral, or you are over riding the clutch.

3) No bump start. When I stop to take a breather on a trail I will typically stop where I can just get rolling and bump start the bike. That don't work with a Rekluse!

4) Parking on a hill: You can't park a bike with a Rekluse on any kind of slope, as the bike wants to roll away without any engine drag.

5) Downhill engine braking: This is a big issue for me. You get on hills where there is no stopping, the best you can do is to keep from going any faster. If you lock the rear wheel then it just starts sliding and then you end up going down sideways. What you want to do is keep it in gear with the clutch out so that the rear wheel keeps turning. The problem is that if you touch the rear brake just a little too hard then it slows down to the point of the Rekluse releasing, and now you have no engine braking. You can get it back by hitting the throttle, but adding throttle is not in my nature when what I really want to do is slow down.

6) Bulldogging: When the downhill gets just too over my head I get off and bull dog the bike down. In this technique you leave the bike in gear, engine off, and use the clutch as a brake. That doesn't work with a Rekluse.

Bottom line, I don't recommend the Rekluse clutch for a beginner.

Your range of bikes you are considering is pretty wide! From an '08 YZ450f down to a '97 two stroke.

Where do you live, and what kind of riding do you expect to be doing?

Rod

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Even with street experience, a YZ450 seems like alot of bike for someone new to dirt. I know because I have been maintaining 2 bikes, one for me, one for my beginner friends. While Im sure they dont have the experience you do (street), they struggle in the tight woods on a mild mannered XR. They would kill themselves on a YZ450, as I suspect you might, depending on the terrain you are riding.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
You might consider something a little less radical. If you are riding trails, maybe a XR, KDX, or a CRF/WR250. If you get bored with the bike, sell it, and upgrade.

Top Bottom