North Carolina

YamahaMan_2k

Oct 31, 2001
I live in Mooresville,NC about 30 minutes from Statesville,where are there good trails to ride with a lot of variety(hills,jumps,etc.)?

slacker00

Sep 27, 2001
Hey YamahaMan, I live in Huntersville. I just got back into riding and found there are a few good places to ride fairly close by.

TNT - About an hour or so south in Chester SC. Check out the sponsor links on the left of this page and click on TNT. They have a pretty big MX track and tons of trails. I'm going today and Saturday maybe even Sunday. A bunch of people are meeting there this weekend (see post in this forum).

There is Brown Mountain State Park about 2 hours (up towards Asheville)away. I have not been there yet but I hear it has some great trails.

Sometimes I go to the end of Highway 485 at Arrowood in Charlotte. You can park where the pavement stops and there are a bunch of trails in the woods on the right.

You should try and go to TNT this weekend and meet some of the people from this site there. I have met a couple and they are really cool. (Well except for High Lord Gomer...he made me crash into a tree and then said my wife sleeps with a dog):)

Shoot me an email if you wanna go ride sometime.

slacker00

Sep 27, 2001
Hehee,

I got a new toy I am testing out today! If all goes well (no trees jumping out in front of me) I will be there Saturday and Sunday too.

Hey Gomer...How much money did you make giving test rides on the YZ250F you had last weekend? There must have been at least 100 people lined up to flog that thing on the track.

CYA

Hiller

May 22, 2001
I am considering heading in that direction for Christmas, how is the weather that time of year? Is it warm enough to ride? Also what other places would be considered "can't miss" as far as trails?
Mike

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Hiller
I am considering heading in that direction for Christmas, how is the weather that time of year? Is it warm enough to ride? Also what other places would be considered "can't miss" as far as trails?
Mike
The weather should be fine. NC does get some snow in the western portion, but it'll most likely be fine east and south.

Since I try to stay away from trees, I can't help much with the trails. I do know they close some of them during the winter (wet season) to keep them from getting torn up while wet.

Mack Reed

Oct 24, 2001
Yamahaman_2k
I live in Stanley NC. I do some woods riding around hwy 16 south hwy 73 west of mooresville around the Duke power plant at River bend. we park at a friends house and ride. we have about a 35 mile loop that we do,full of jumps,tight woods, One nice hill climb, The only bad thing is it is hunting season and we don't like to make the hunters mad so we stay away until Sundays. I will say that some of the area is not what you would call legal to ride.{just to let you know} But we do anyway. We also ride at Brown Mt. It is a good place to go ride after a rain. The terrain is hard rock with a sandy dust on top {no traction when dry} Brown has about 45 miles of trails if you do them all. I think that is the correct number. Let me know if you would like to hook up, This may not be your cup of tea but thought I would give you the invite. we can do TNT too. hadn't been there yet. I am from WV and we allso go up there and ride. All I can say about that place is it has it all if you like woods riding. You can ride 80 miles in one day {you need to put gas out somewhere} and never touch the same trail. Like I said I grew up there and I know all the trails. We have a blast when we go up and ride. I might be going next weekend.Any one is welcome to go.

Alpinestar

Apr 18, 2001
There is a bunch of good riding trails along NC, I mean to the coast you got places like Tuscahora NP, and up here we got Brown mountain, and a place called Murbarry trails you should pick a date or something and well ride together. later

motormichael

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
Hey Mack

Did you mean that you were going up to WV. to ride? Next Sat. and Sun. the 10th and 11th? I went to Hatfield Mc Coy back in July and liked it a lot. Is this the same area that you ride in? I would like to go back and learn more of the trails. We did 220 miles the weekend that I went. Maybe you could guide us. You are right in saying that you need to set gas out because that is the only problem with these trails. The town of Matewan allows you to ride in to get fuel and food. That was cool. As far as NC. goes, I have not rode there yet. I have stopped by to look at the trail system at Wayhutta ( Dillsboro). It looks very nice . They have an 18 mile loop up the mtn. and back and some connectors. I know people that have rode at Tellico Plains.They said it was challenging with the large rocks and river crossings. I have been doing most of my riding in southeastern KY.

Mack Reed

Oct 24, 2001
Motormichael
The trip is not a done dill at this point, but the dates you ask about are correct. I hope to know if we are going by the first of the week. I lived in southern WV, McDowell.co about 2 hours away from the trails you spoke about. My buds and I have talked about going there to ride but we dont have sparkys. I don't know if we could do 220 miles or not in two days. I could but know about the buds. There is alot of people that come from all over to ride where I am talking about. the group that does the hatfield trails has talked about adding this area to the trail system. Don't know if or when this will happen. As for these trails there all types Tight,wide open,fast track woods. and ohhh the biggest hill climbs you can think of. {lots of them} That is why I dont think we would do 220 miles Too many hills to play on. you can email me at mack@maxxconnect.net shoot me a email and I will tell you more.

mp4798

Aug 10, 2001
alpinestar question

alpinestar-u said there is a place at the coast called tuscahora np where you can ride. i live in greenville nc and have never heard of this place. where is it located and what is the riding like? how many miles of trails. any help would be appreciated. any websites or places that i can write to get more info. thanks=mark

YamahaMan_2k

Oct 31, 2001
Mack,

I havent gotten a dirt bike yet but i am getting one within 2 months.Ill post a thread and let u know,and we can hook up n ride

MadMark

Nov 3, 2000
Hey Guys,
I just moved to Huntersville, NC from Southern Ohio. I have ridden Brown Mountain, TNT, and Hatfield McCoy in WV. This weekend i went to a practice MX track in Concord behind Andrews Motorsports and it is pretty cool too. I prefer harescrambles/woods but I ride/race the occasional mx also. I am planning on racing a nchsa harescramble Sunday in Concord area. Let me know if any of you guys want to meet up and ride anytime-this is my first week actually living here.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Welcome, MadMark. I wish I had known...a bunch of us (25 or so) got together at TNT this past weekend for a group ride (see the ride report sub-forum under General). How far is Huntersville from Charlotte?

If you're not already on the mailing list, NCHSA has one. I think Bruce McCrary can handle getting you on, bruce_mccrary@yahoo.com.

I'm hoping to have my CR back together in time to do a little riding at TNT on Sunday...interested?

MadMark

Nov 3, 2000
High Lord Gomer,
Thanks for the reply. I saw your ride report and it looked like you guys had a good time. Track conditions looked like when I was there-dry and dusty,hard as a rock-good layout but why don't they water and groom it? Huntersville is just 10-15 minutes north of Charlotte. I definitley want to hook up with you guys and ride, but Sunday I plan on that nchsa haresramble-it is close to home and am curious what kind of event they put on. Have you done any of the SETRA or Victory Sports events? It looks like they race all winter.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Track conditions looked like when I was there-dry and dusty,hard as a rock-good layout but why don't they water and groom it?
They have sprinklers, but only on the bottom half of the track so far. Even putting those in was a major task. They used to pull water out of the creek, but don't anymore. Now they have a catch basin that they plan to replenish from a well they are planning to put in.

The problem with working the track up is that, without real rain, it merely turns to dust. Better to leave it hardpack with some dust on top than 6 inches of potholed dust. Now that we are entering cooler and wetter weather, they'll be able to do more with the track. Without real rain, any changes they make to the track tear apart fairly easily since clay has to be wet to pack properly. Sprinklers are fine for dust control, but don't really provide enough water to soak the clay enough to pack.

After seeing the amount of work and money they have put in to get the track and trails to where they are now, I doubt I'll ever have even a personal track just for myself.

Sunday I plan on that nchsa haresramble-it is close to home and am curious what kind of event they put on
I only did one NCHSA HS, but I liked it. It was in Denver, NC. The course was wide and easy, but dusty at times. They are organized and know what they are doing. Plan on showing early to get your first time registration done in time to look over the track and not be rushed to the line.

Have you done any of the SETRA or Victory Sports events? It looks like they race all winter.
I've done a couple SETRA enduros and HSs. They are also well run and well marked events. The Victory Sports stuff is more MX/AX oriented. I've done one of their indoor racs and a few outdoor ones as well. Victory Sports events are very well organized and very well attended. You really have to be on your toes and show up early to staging to avoid missing your practices and/or races. The indoor event I did of theirs was 6 or 7 years ago and had very short race times (5-8 minutes). It was worth it to do once (or maybe a few times), but I doubt I'd ever do many of them.

andym

Jun 3, 2000
Victory Sports puts on great events. There is a hs race in HIckory on 11/17. They are also putting on 2 other hs races in NC in January.

ThumpinByYou

May 8, 2001
The goldrush HS next weekend should be fun. I heard it is a pretty tight track. 2 guys I know went down there to cut trails for it.

I raced my first NCHSA event last weekend. Being an MX'er and from california, it was crazy. Some really tight and technical stuff, but all in all, a whole lot of fun.

mp4798

Aug 10, 2001
brown mtn

i run moose xtra heavy duty tires in my cr 250 and have never bent a rim or busted a tire at brown mtn in 3.5 yrs of riding. trail alignemnt is obviously impotant when riding in the mtns. BAR none brown has the best legal trail riding in nc. if anyone disagrees with this pls tell me so i can pick a weekend and check out their trail system...i keep saying it over and over=u guys gotta check out buckleberry farms for trail riding in nc. its in goldsboro near cherry hospital. ive enjoyed all the nc posts recently regarding NC riding. lets keep the interest going.==mp

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Check Out Uwharrie forest. There are about 20 miles of trails there. Varying terrain. Some trails are really tight and tough. Others are wide, and have jumps. Its about a 2hr drive from Raleigh.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…