iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
I was helping my friend with some preventitive maintance, a simple top end. I replaced all of the parts, cleaned all of the parts and assembeled what i have been told as correctly (I got a few second opinions on my work, for the sake of figuring this out). I have been told that kx's make some power valve noise. This could be that but it also dosnt sound like it. I have succsesfully replaced many top ends on my trusty yz, without a hitch. But on this kx, I am stumped. At idle, 1/2 throttle, an WFO, the bike runs great, better than before, it rips!!! But when sitting and at an idle, it sound like a washer is siting on top of the cylinder. The noise is still there but quieter at mid throttle, probobly due to bike noise, and its unhearable at wide open. its not a constant rattle like a buzz or vibration, but like somthing loose jumping around. I have shown it two many other mechanics in my area with no success. I have probobly pulled that bike apart more that 20 times now, and have become quite profiecient at it. But the piston looks fine. I measured the cylinder and piston, all dimensions same as stock. With pulling the motor apart so many times, everything inside looks great. I cant figure it out. Once in a disgruntal attempt ti figure this out, I assymbled the cylander, with power valve and shook it, hard. I could hear the pv, rattle but this sound wasnt like that. We have just keept an eye on things and keept riding it. We havnt had and problems. I finished with all the parts on the bench that should be there. (ie, 2 old circlips, and the like) there isnt anything in the motor. Nothing loose on the frame. HELP!!!!!

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Did you check for play in the rod? It could be normal, some engines are noisier than others. I have noticed that forged pistons, even fresh ones, will make some noise.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
If he has a skid plate on his bike,make sure that isn't the noise you are hearing before going crazy.Sometimes they become a little loose or a stone is in there rattling around.

iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
Yeah, i checked everything. engine mounts, radiator braces, everything. I used my fathers stethascope (for finding knocks and pings on big cars) and it sounded like it was from the motor.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Does engaging the clutch change the noise level?

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
A lot of the KX pipes and exhaust flanges fit loosely I'd look that area over carefully. Our 2000 rattles so bad we can't keep exhaust springs on it. I've even gone to double 85cc springs and every time I check atleast one is gone.

Top Bottom