Not another sparkplug posting!

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have been playing around with different spark plugs. Which Spark plug do you recommend for overall power and reliability? Do you see any difference between the standard NGK br8es, brp8es (projecting tip) ,the br8eg (fine wire nickel tip), the br8ex (Finewire Titanium tip Big $). I am currently running brp8es plugs because the supposedly give a better heat range, but have heard they also may cause damage in the long run in 2 cycle bikes. I would appreciate your opinion!!

Thanks, Mark Hendrickson KDX200 owner

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
ngk's use a different heat range setup. 10 coldest and 5 hottest so the 8 is on the cold end of the spectrum. The more expensive ones last a bit longer. Also the ngk rep that posted here a while ago mentioned that the newer ones were designed with motor harmonics in mind and the tip is less likely to break off and drop in the motor. If you regularly replace your B8es with a new one you won't have that problem. But regularly running it and never checking it could cause problems.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What NGK rep post was that? I'd like a link to the thread if you have it. I'd like to read it.

The info I got in an email from an NGK tech warned against using projected tip plugs in a kdx. He said he saw plenty of gripes every week from riders thinking that NGK ought to pay for the engine damage caused when a projected tip plug broke inside their engines.

milhend: I don't know if you already looked at this regarding projected tip plugs (you had asked about them a couple months ago..):

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57992

Given that (notwithstanding further input that jasle can post from NGK) NGK warns against 'P' use, so I wouldn't use one. Still, I found the 'G' fine wire nickel to be a considerable improvement over the 'ES'. The finer wire V, VX plugs would be fine (groan), too...if you don't mind spending the $. The 'G' seems a good middle of the road plug..performs better than an 'ES', and doesn't cost TOO much.

BTW:
1. NGK's VX is noted to be a platinum center electrode.
2. NGK's EV is noted to be a gold palladium construction.
3. They list the 'IX' as an iridium plug

...but they don't have a titanium plug. ;)

And the above come in a variety of 'fine' and 'ultra small' center electrodes....and 'fine' doesn't always mean the same thing!

Obviously they want to keep it all real simple!!

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom