fix410

Dec 19, 2004
Hi

I needsome help. I have a 98 KDX 200 in pretty good nick. I bought it second hand 5 months ago. The problem is the bike has never idled and will stall when I take my hand off the throttle.

I have checked the carby and replaced the jets with 45 pilot and 158 main, needle middle position.

This has made it run much better and is very easy to start, but will still not idle. It runs very well but this is really bugging me. The idle screw and air screw do have some effect but only just past around 1/16 from idle.

AIr filter, plug and top end is all good, could this be a cable or KIPS problem?

Thanks

Im stuck

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Is your idle circuit plugged in the carb? I'd pull the carb, clean it thoroughly (esp. the idle circuit), set the air screw at 1 1/2, check the float height, and see if that does it. If it doesn't, I'd check for vacuum leaks around the intake boot. If that doesn't get it then it's time for a leak down test.

fix410

Dec 19, 2004
Thanks for the advice Rhodester.

The float level has been done and the intake is good, what do you mean by idle circuit, is that that pilot jet etc or something else. Also, coould it possibly be wear on the throttle slide.

I believe previous owner may have wound up the throttle cable tight so it sat just above idle but that is only a bandaid isnt it. Its a shame because the bike is awesome besides this one niggly problem.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
There are tiny passage ways in the carb body that need carb cleaner blasted though them to make sure they're clean. How's the tip of your idle adjustment screw look? Kawasaki calls the idle adjustment screw a "throttle stop" because all it does, if I remember correctly, is hold the throttle valve (slide) up a little bit so the engine will idle and not die. I.e. it holds the throttle on (like your right hand does) a little bit. You adjust the screw to get the RPMs you want for idle. You might want to check the slide where the tip of the screw makes contact to see if there's any damage there.

fix410

Dec 19, 2004
Thanks again mate, I am slowly sorting this problem out. SInce doing the jetting I have the air screw working but the throttle idle screw is worn at end, slide looks OK so I might order new throttle idle screw and see what happens. Thanks very much for your help.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom