markymark77

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 4, 2002
I came accross this link and Im interested in trying this stuff out. Its a different kind of filter oil. ANyone have any experience using it?
http://www.notoil.com/index.html

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Very good stuff. Try it, you won't go back. The no-toil cleaner is specifically made for the no-tiol oil and breaks it down 100%. Filters look like new in 5 minutes of cleaning. No fumes, bidegradeable; clean them in the kitchen sink!

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If I had 3 thumbs I'd give it three thumbs up.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by los36
Very good stuff. Try it, you won't go back.

Agreed!!! The filter oil seems a little "thin" compared to other brands, but works fine. We use the No-Toil filters, oil, cleaner, and rim grease for our YZ125 and CRF450 (used to be YZ426F) with no problems at all. The No-Toil filters hold up amazingly well. Still look brand new after several uses. And very easy to clean (usually do them in a bucket or the sink).

Beware - if you use the cleaner on Uni filters - the filter glue might break down. You're best off using the No-Toil filter, too.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The filter oil seems a little "thin" compared to other brands

The oil goes on thin and then whatever solvent that it has in it evaporates off. It evaporates quickly and it separates from the oil easily. This is why it is necessary to shake it up really well before using it.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Speaking of No-toil, anyone get the chemical reaction when you wash your hands with the cleaner? Yikes!

Otherwise, good stuff. After last weekend riding behind a bunch of riders in super dusty conditions, the inside of my filter & airboot were totally spotless- not a spec of dust. Works great!

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Good call zio!
Don't mix the cleaner w/ water directly on your skin! Also, don't wash filters with open wounds (read: blisters)!!!
The stuff is safe, though.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I've mixed it with water on my hands many times, what's this reaction? Never had a problem with it, the No-Toil stuff is top notch, best stuff I've ever used.

B

biglou

I've got the reaction before. It gets hot real fast! Hurts like a SOB! I use the remnants leftover in the sink now!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would advise against riding directly after oiling. Let it hang overnight, then mount.

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
As usual, I'm the odd-ball here, tried it, didn't like it. Not that I think it doesn't work well stopping dirt, I just didn't think it that much easier to clean up or apply than the Belray. And if my wife caught me with dirty filters in the kitchen sink------- :scream:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I use it and love the stuff. I did notice that the oil will disintegrate my nitrile rubber gloves though. At least it easy to clean off. :) Do a search for more info.

What’s this about being hard on your hands? What are you guys, thin skinned wimps?? :p

B

biglou

The cleaner. If you pour the powder onto your hands and then splash it with water and start rubbing it in, it gets HOT! (and makes my little nancy-boy hands hurt!)

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Is no toil a spray on kind? I've got a little pet peeve with spray on cleaners. It's hard to hold down the little button when your fingers (I use latex gloves) are coated in oil and water. Anyone else annoyed by this little issue?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I see. I poor the powder in the sink and add the water before I put the filters in. That's another great thing. You can wash your filters in the kitchen sink:):)

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
I have been using No-Toil for over two years and love it. I can't believe that anyone would use anything else, it is so easy.
Just make sure that you shake the bottle really well before applying the oil to the filter and let the oil set up on the filter for at least fifteen minutes before riding. ;)

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I have posted on this subject several times and you guys have all covered it well. I will add that Scott Oakes at No-Toil is great guy and genuinely interested in his customers and their experience with the product. Give him a call or send him an email and you will get a quick response and honest answers.

But, about the BigNancy's oops I mean Lou's hands and the cleaner. I haven't experienced this at all. Not saying it doesn't happen to others, I just haven't experienced it because I have put the powder straight on my hands and then water to wash them. Maybe my hands have become immune after years of working in the drilling fluid industry and petroleum pipelines.

Sorry Lou, couldn't resist the little dig.

b

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I used it for about 1.5 years and loved it but I actually quit using it about 4 months ago. For me it seemed like I just went through so much of the cleaner. I always washed mine twice and then rinsed. If you get the kit (you can buy the cleaner separately), the cleaner only seems to last 1/3 of the time that the oil does. I am now using the Twin Air Liquid Power system. I have the tubs w\lids for the oil & solvent I like it a little better.

PS I think the no-toil worked great and I never experienced the 'Nancy Hand Burn Syndrome' either :) Just got tired of going through so much cleaner.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I've never used the no-toil, but I may have to give it a try. I only clean my filter about once or twice a year though. What's that? Once a year! :scream: One word......FILTERSKINS!! :cool: Replace them after every ride in about 3 minutes. Then wash the dirty filterskin. I wouldn't want to ride without them. I hate my filter coming apart because I have to clean it constantly. Am I the only one here that uses them? Maybe there's some flaw with them that I don't know about. If so, please let me know and I'll go back to cleaning and replacing filters every ride. :(

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I wash up to 4 filters at the same time with 1/4 cup of cleaner. That works good for breaking down the oil. Then I use liquid dish soap to do the final cleaning. I don't use nearly as much cleaner doing it this way.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I used a filterskin once. ONCE. My filter had a slight tear along the seam (not all the way through) and all I had time to do was through a filterskin on and go. After about 4 hours in the dust, there was about 3/8" buildup on the thing and my bike couldn't hardly breathe. I'll save the other 2 for emergencies. It was VERY dusty that day and I was riding with a group of 8-9 people.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
So why did you only use it once. It sounds to me like it done it's job. That 3/8" buildup would have been on your filter instead of the filterskin and all you would have had to do was pull of the filterskin, install one of the new ones and keep riding.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I had to take the thing off to even get back to camp. I have ridden in dust like that many times before and have never had a problem with anything getting through a filter and causing damage. Everything built up in a thick layer right on top of the filterskin choking off the air. With just a normal filter the dirt is distributed in layers throughout the filter and air is allowed to pass around it. That is why filters are thick with all the small cells in them. Sure the filterskin did its job in stopping the dust but... to me there is more to it than that, I want my bike to breathe a little. And no I don't want to stop in the middle of a trail ride to change a filterskin. Like I said before, I am keeping the other 2 for emergencies but thats it.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Good point! 'course they do make the quickchange tabs with strings so you can put on 2 or 3 filterskins at once and just reach back while riding, pull the first string and it pulls off the first filterskin and you have a clean filter again. Or just put on one filterskin with the pull string and when you feel it beginning to lose power, pull the string and you have your clean filter without a filterskin on it. Personally, I've never had the need to use more than one at a time. Did I mention I work for PC Racing? LOL just kidding. TTRGuy makes a good point about the filter distributing the dirt over a wider area than the filterskin will allow though.

Top Bottom