KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
DRN thread on the valves

I installed a set of these in my Gas Gas 300 with 4357 WP forks. These forks have the standard midvalve in them.

I set them up with 2.5wt oil at 130mm for "Woods" and was very impressed with the suppleness over rocks and roots. The forks felt firm but plush and were excellent over the deep sand whoops and in general at higher speed on singletrack trails.

The suppleness screw is something I'd like to see on all forks.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
So Kiwi, do the screws really work? Like the "suppleness screw"? Is it a dramatic change, or real fine adjustment...or did you even get a chance to play with the screws yet ;)

TT

Nov 7, 2001
I have the Novation Valve in my 2002 KTM 400sx and love how adjustable it is. When you do make a change in one of the circuits you can feel the change you made.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I have my valves set up as follows -

.46 kg/mm with about 8-10 mm preload (I was in a hurry)
2.5wt oil at 130mm

LS 9 out
MS 2 in
HS 6 in (weight with gear 275 lbs - no comments please)
SUP 2 in
REB 19 out

I got 50 miles of terrain including sandwash/soft sand smooth, rocks and roots at slow speed, very rocky roads of about 2-4" rocks with a couple of larger ones at moderate to fast speeds, on the gas in 4th and 5th gear open single track.

I particularly liked the fact that the bike worked in a large range of conditions.

TT - what are your settings and riding conditions?

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Irish....if anyone posts the link it will be deleted.

Try ktmtalk.com and do a search for novation. You should find what you're looking for.

I still have serious doubts about this products ability to "cure all ills". It IS an impressive looking piece of metal.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Hmmm, went to ktmtalk.com and read up what some people think ........

So, as I also tried (years ago) the RT Delta valves and wasn't impressed - what do you guys think about what doesn't work with these valves.

Let's just talk about the technical pros and cons of the valve.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
(weight with gear 275 lbs - no comments please)

only one comment. . . lightweight! :eek: :confused:

on the valves, they seem like a great idea. Do you find that you have too many options with them? Or is it pretty simple to sort out?
I could see myself turning screws until the cows came home.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Papa - thanks. :laugh:

I talked to Pete (the owner) and he said to stay within the boundaries of adjustment on the chart for any fine tuning.

The chart has settings for SX, MX, GP-MX, Woods and Desert with adjustment of about 2 clicks within those ranges for fine tuning.

There is also recommended adjustments for Sandy tracks, Deep holes, Huge air, lots of chop, rocks and roots.

My riding this weekend will consist of quite a few whoops and lots of mixed speed single track with rocks galore. I'm pretty happy with the whoopability so will try to play with the low speed and suppleness adjusters.

TT

Nov 7, 2001
Here is my set up using the Novation valve. I weigh 170lbs.
Stock 44kg springs
Oil 115mm
LS 8 out
MS 2 in
HS 3 in
SUP 2 in
REB 17 out
This is for woods riding. I will be going out for moto this weekend and will report on my setting for that. I did have one of the original valves and Pete gave me the newest valve this winter so this is my first ride on the new valves.

TT

Nov 7, 2001
Like in my prior post I'm on a 02 400sx with the 48mm forks. I also have his shock kit. I am using 5wt oil in the forks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom